General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluctuating and low idle after installing new ca battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 11:33 AM
Smile Fluctuating and low idle after installing new ca battery

Last week , my camry is showing signs of poor battery. Twice I had it recharged.
And yesterday, i had to use the booster cable to have it started.
Then this morning , the battery died out, no ticking and doesnt crank anymore.
The battery is already 2years and 8months old, already passed its 20 months warranty period, so I decided to order a new car battery.
After installing the new battery, the engine started at one click., then after a few minutes , I noticed its idling is not that fine like it was before, going to a low 600rpm that it feels like the engine is going to stall and had to step a bit on the gas pedal to retain its fine idling.
So to cut the story short, idling is not that good after installing a new battery.
One more thing, ...i also noticed , that the short whinning sound once you turn the keys to on position has disappeared before the start up of the engine. Is there something wrong with the relays or fuse?

Any response to this will be highly appreciated.

By the way , my camry is a 2005 model , 2.4 2azfe engine , automatic tranny.

Last edited by raggedyman; 06-30-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

The engine has an electric throttle controlled in part by computer. Disconnecting the battery may cause the throttle system to relearn what is normal, this may take a few starts to reset to normal.

If it doesn't try cleaning the throttle body. The internet has lots of posts on how to this (common). Use a throttle body spray cleaner safe for plastics.

As to the whining, location of sound? There is a fuse box and or relay boxes under the dash, far drivers side, behind the drivers side kick panel (where left foot would hit if kicking left), right passengers kick panel and behind glove box.

Make sure there are no parasitic loads on the battery when engine is off and key out of ign. This can be checked by placing an milli-amp meter between positive battery cable and battery lug. Check only with ign key off and out.

Make sure the trunk light is not staying on or other electrical loads.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:22 PM

Thank you very much for the quick reply