General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-28-2015, 04:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension
Print Wikipost

2002 Camry Engine running rough

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Default 2002 Camry Engine running rough

Please help,

I own a 2002 Camry 4 cylinder that has been running rough lately. I think it's been since I got an oil change. The guy inspected the carbon filter and air filter but didn't replace them. I am going to do that as well as change the spark plugs and wires. It runs rough at all times. No check engine light as of yet.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sean

Old 03-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Default Just checked

The noise is coming from the exhaust manifold...

Old 03-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Can you define the noise better.

You think there is a link between the noise and running rough.

Idles rough, lack of power.

Did the problem start right after the oil change? Sometimes a vacuum hose, etc can be pulled off by the mechanic.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:15 PM

Thanks for replying,

The noise is constant whether on idle or when running. It's coming from the exhaust manifold (I think). Its kind of like a light knocking noise, a thrumming noise. Like a light diesel engine maybe. it's a constant noise. Not used to it from my normally smooth sounding engine. the car still runs great, but this noise is scaring me... It did start after the oil change...

Sean

Last edited by shloho; 03-28-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:34 PM

I checked vacuum hoses but don't have a diagram to check all of em... Don't see anything or hear anything.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

A few possibilities:

See the TSB at the link below:

http://www.pdfqueen.com/html/aHR0cDo...lzZVRCLnBkZg==

Another is the timing chain may be slapping against the case. The timing chain is on the passengers side of the engine. Use a section of rubber hose as a stethoscope to run down the noisy area.

Might be something strange happening with the variable cam timing.

Did the oil place use a different type or weight of oil? This might cause more engine noise.

If unable to find the problem might post at the Toyotanation website with your findings to date. The site has a lot more members having experience with this engine type, 2AZ-FE

Old 03-29-2010, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
A few possibilities:

See the TSB at the link below:

http://www.pdfqueen.com/html/aHR0cDo...lzZVRCLnBkZg==

Another is the timing chain may be slapping against the case. The timing chain is on the passengers side of the engine. Use a section of rubber hose as a stethoscope to run down the noisy area.

Might be something strange happening with the variable cam timing.

Did the oil place use a different type or weight of oil? This might cause more engine noise.

If unable to find the problem might post at the Toyotanation website with your findings to date. The site has a lot more members having experience with this engine type, 2AZ-FE

I have been on TN and so far have gotten a few responses. Nothing to figure out the problem though. I saw the PDF file you linked to, but I've never had a problem with engine noise till now. I'm at 90 K miles. The noise is not coming from the engine block itself. It's coming from the exhaust manifold so how do I diagnose that?

Thanks,
Sean

Old 03-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Does the exhaust manifold have a large can attached to it? Looks something like the photo in the link below:

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustMani...EM00636/376476

Is the noise coming from the can section?

Old 03-29-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Does the exhaust manifold have a large can attached to it? Looks something like the photo in the link below:

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustMani...EM00636/376476

Is the noise coming from the can section?
I'm not 100 % sure but my manifold assembly looks shorter , but, since the one you showed is for the correct engine, I must have the same one. I hear the noise coming from the manifold converter insulator ( the one with the diagram of an x over a hand, for no touching). So closer to main body of the exhaust manifold.

Thanks,
Sean

Last edited by shloho; 03-29-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:38 PM

Unfortunately, I need to go on a business trip for a few days so won;t be able to work on my car till then.

Thanks for your help and hope you'll be here when I return.

Sean

Quick Reply: 2002 Camry Engine running rough