General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Toyota Camry OEM Radiator Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 03:42 AM
Default 2003 Toyota Camry OEM Radiator Fluid

Has anyone heard about using the original radiator fluid in these cars. It looks like orange or pink as opposed to prestones green color. A Toyota Tech I spoke to about it says he always replaces it with the green Prestone stuff in his own and families/friends Toyotas because he says it is too strong and eats headgaskets. He says that all the blown headgaskets he sees at the dealership always have the Toyota coolant in the coolong system. We have a 2003 with Toyota Coolant in it and I was thinking about changing it out and replacing it with Prestone and Distilled water 50/50 mix. Any thoughts? Thank You!

Old 04-10-2007, 01:47 AM
Default RE: 2003 Toyota Camry OEM Radiator Fluid

The toyota coolant is a long lasting fluid to begin with. I believed it last 100,000 miles before it needs to be serviced. However to answer your question i believe factory fluid is better than most aftermarket products. Its a toyota made product engineered for toyota itself. If they thought prestone was better then perhaps they would have signed a contract with them? I had a 2000 toyota celica gt with 150,000 miles on orginal coolant and only added distilled water when needed. Never had a problem. I wouldnt recommend changing it unless its recommended by your dealer service intervals. Maybe im wrong on this subject.

However the Toyota coolant is eg based (Ethylene Glycol) fluid. So if you do decide to change it make sure the fluid you replace it with is also eg based. Most coolants now days are, but there are some that arent. If you mix the two together it will gum up inside the engine and it will only do more harm than good.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:32 AM

green coolant?... red coolant?....what oil brand should i use......everybody has a opinion on whats best..but in your case i would stick to red coolant....when coolant is drained from your motor not all of it comes out, maybe2/3..unless you get it flushed...so you would be mixing 2 different coolants..now i've had cars with mixed coolant with no negative out come..but why mix if you don't have to...and also.. toyota red coolant is a little more expensive, and i ways say "you get what you pay for"..but you could which to green if you want....

Old 04-12-2007, 08:39 PM

Okay, I will stick with the red, but I do remember that a Toyota tech told me he doesn't recommend the Toyota red coolant.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:51 AM

im a toyota tech and i say its okay..now you have conflicting arguments...call a toyota dealer and speak to another tech andseewhat theysay...best out of three......what ever you do it sounds like your customer that maintance the vehicle properly, so your camry should last forever..

Old 04-14-2007, 04:16 PM

I was just wondering if you ever heard from other techs at the dealership you work at that the oem toy coolant is a bit strong and eats headgaskets after a while. I'm in the business also and the toy tech I talked to had the opinion that the oem coolant eats headgaskets eventually. I personally prefer antifreeze that can be purchased anywhere as opposed to the stuff you have to buy at the toyota dealership. Eventually we will change this stuff out and use distilled water with prestone.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:21 AM

mmmm . confusing

well all my previous 18 cars i owened i was using the [:'(]reen coolant made by ford but by mixing it with coolant booster & distilled water with no problems at all ... but what i heard latly that thr pre-mix toyota coolant (which is ready to use without adding anything to it) is 1 of the best coolants ever as here in the middle east temp gets over 115 F in summer [:-]... i just bought the premix coolant for my camry as i will flush it 1st from its old coolant & use the Red 1 ...

do what toyoboy said about calling other dealers & take best out of 3 if not try another best out of 3 in diff areas

all the best

Old 04-15-2007, 06:36 PM

I'm in Arizona, believe me it gets hot here. Prestone and distilled water is proven and to me the way to go. Thank You for the info and good luck!