General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 camry transmission or torque converter problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Default 2005 camry transmission or torque converter problem

Hello all,

I am new here. My 2005 camry automatic 4 cylinder LE with 67k miles have a vibrating problem when it goes about 35-45 mph, and this happens everytime going up a hill fast about 45 mph. This issue only started after a transmission fluid flush at the dealer Beaverton Toyota, OR at about 60k (suggested by them of course because the color of the ATF was brown). The car was fine before and shifts normal and doesn't have this vibration sound.

Last week I took the car back to Beaverton Toyota, OR, and they said it needs a transmission replacement costs $4000, and today they called me to tell me that Toyota can cover 50% of the cost, so i would pay $2000. Toyota company would pay $1000, while the dealer would pay the remain $1000. The service guy from Beaverton Toyota, OR, told me that the problem is the Torque converter would not come out of the lock mode.

Do you guys have any suggestions on fixing this issue? Could the torque converter is going bad? Could the service person screwed up on my car when they flushed the Transmission fluid? The car is out of warranty by 7k miles. Could I contact with Toyota regional claims manager to fight about it be cover 100% by toyota?

Thank you so much for your time and advise, any help is very appreciated!

-- below is my vent, must read if you're toyota rep!
I am really disappointed at Toyota lately, with the news and now my car. I could have bought a hydundai with 100k warranty and at lower costs. And my family recently also bought a 2010 prius, and it had one speaker wasn't wired correctly, so we took it to Beaverton Toyota, OR and they wanted straight from me $280 on the phone after 2 days of their so called tech guys invistigating and accusing me of installing after market things onto the new prius with 2 weeks of owning it. We had to go to Beaverton Toyota, OR to hear them of saying sorry for accusing on the phone. If Toyota company reps sees my message here, please do something.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Have the fluid level checked, make sure it is the correct fluid type.

For this expense of repair might have the fluid changed again.

The torque converter is separate from the trans, ask they are going to replace the trans or the just the converter.

The dealer must think they are somewhat at fault of they would not be offering any co-payment or they consider you a good customer with future potential sales possibilities.

If you get a second opinion beware transmission shops typically want to replace or rebuild the trans as this is more income for them.