General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 XLE Reverse sometimes unresponsive

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:01 AM
Default 1997 XLE Reverse sometimes unresponsive

1997 XLE V6 Camry Automatic

Is it normal for the car not to move at all, after you put it in reverse? It seems like I have to put some gas to the pedal to get it moving. It almost feels unresponsive at times.

Two weeks ago the check engine light (CEL) came on, so I disconnected the battery cable and opened up the gas cap to let the pressure escape, and one or both of these tricks made the light go away.
While the battery was off for a few minutes, I went ahead and checked the transmission fluid, and it was in range on the stick, and color looked ok. So far, so good.

The CEL (check engine light) came on again yesterday, so I hope this does not mean transmission problems only after 58,776 miles. It’s going in for a 60,000 check up this week, I hate to mention anything about that reverse thing, because he may just want to add some needless repair work on the tranny. Then again, this might be normal for an automatic, since I mostly drive a 5-speed stick with my ford ranger.

Last year, we had it in the shop for a diagnostic look over, and on the list, he mentioned that the tranny oil was dirty, but I wanted to wait a little longer until the 60,000.

Do transmissions go out after 60,000 miles? Anything is possible, I guess. We don’t drive this car into the ground and drive maybe at the most 1,000-1300 mile per year.

So if anyone here has had to replace their transmission on their 97 XLE V6 , at how many miles were you at?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

You best (and cheapest) attempt at a fix may be to drop the pan and clean or replace the fluid intake screen then completely change the trans fluid (not just the fluid that's in the pan).

The complete fluid change is often called a "flush." However you just want all the trans fluid changed not the shop to add any additives, etc, run through the trans during the fluid replacement process (some shops do this also).

Trans fluid should be red.

The best method for completely changing the fluid is to disconnect the return line from the trans oil cooler. Start the engine, then run new fluid into the trans as the oil is pumped out.

There are machines that can do this. You want one that uses low pressure to add the new fluid.

Or just fill the pan with new fluid, start the engine and let this run out. Stop the engine and repeat the process until clean fluid comes out. Always stop the engine when the fluid coming out starts to froth.

At cold start up it should take less then 30 seconds for the trans to engage into reverse.

One issue is failure to engage into reverse (even after stepping on the gas) can be a sign of internal parts failure).

It would not be normal for a trans to fail after 60K miles even if the trans fluid was never changed. But it does happen and typically when the fluid was never changed.

Having clean fluid in good shape is the major key to long trans life. 60K would be the minimum change period, 30K would not be out of line IF you want the trans to last the life of the car.

Thus get the fluid changed.

There are a few trouble codes for the transmission. Some auto parts stores will read the codes for free, it is an easy job if you have a code reader. Code readers are available for sell at auto parts stores, online, some very low cost.