General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Camry Vibration and ..........

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Default 2005 Camry Vibration and ..........

My '05 has developed an issue while idling or driving at @ 1200 rpm. If I hold the brake with the car in drive and accelerate to 1200 rpm there is a vibration and noticable rumble. So far I've replaced the engine mounts on the radiator side of the block, the front of the engine and the dogbone. Nothing has changed. I've also noticed the car feels like it's breaking traction when I accelerate from a dead stop. Even though the I'm accelerating normally, it feels like the wheels are slipping/skidding on the pavement. These symptoms lessen as the car warms up.
Note: This is my wife's car and she reported hearing a loud popping noise followed by a metallic clunking like something had come loose. I've had the car on a rack and the mechanic found nothing. I'm not sure if all or any of this is related. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest having the mechanic investigate the torque converter. There should be some tests the shop can perform in this area. A bad converter, perhaps the one-way clutch? can cause most of your symptoms.

This being a rumble or shake at low RPM when applying throttle, slipping (RPM rises but cars acceleration is not linear with RPM).

The popping and mechanical noise have me concerned as not typically of a failing converter. Still strange things have happened such as the torque converter becoming unbolted from the flywheel or flywheel from crank or flywheel (really a round stamped sheet metal plate) cracking from fatigue.

There should be an access door on the lower portion of the bell housing. The mechanic or you could remove the door and look around inside for debris or other problems as someone rotated the engine by hand via the crank bolt.

Or the issue could be an internal trans problem. In this case dropping the trans fluid pan will reveal any debris (assume given the metallic noise) now in the pan.

Suggest taking care in which shop does the diagnostic work. If it is only the torque converter most trans shop will still state the complete trans needs rebuilt to make extra $$. Replacing a bad converter only (not complete trans rebuild) is common enough and if this is the only problem, save lots of money over a trans rebuilt or replacement.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:34 PM

I had an 05 for a long time
and never had a gearbox problem like you are describing
my 05 probs were weak cv joints and engine mounts
I wouldnt plan a long trip with the car

did this start happening all of a sudden or just a gradual problem
soon as you can book it in to.. an automatic repair/diagnostic place

Old 02-11-2014, 11:34 AM

Thanks guys. That's great advice. The strange thing to me is that the car seems too run fine even at highway speeds with no signs of touble.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Torque converter shutter occurs a low speed.