General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 03:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

2005 Camry XLE rear parcel shelf removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:07 PM
Question 2005 Camry XLE rear parcel shelf removal?

In process of changing the rear speakers on the 2005 Camry XLE 4 cylinder with jbl system (jbl system no longer being used). Production date 3/05 USA made.

Here is the issue:
Have Crutchfield instructions, 2002 Camry shop manual pdf and a Haynes manual and they all differ in how to get the parcel tray out of the back to get to the speakers.

The main topic at the moment for me is the actual 2005 proceedure to get the parcel shelf out. Specifically, does the rear shade have to be removed and if so how?

Example: Crutchfield says to take the side panels out by removing the bolts behind the SRS panels (none on car the side panels just clip and have them removed already) so instructions different to the car. They then say you have to take the shade out. Either by pushing up on clips from in the trunk (there is only one plastic clip by where the shade is and it is loose now so not it) OR by prying up on the shade starting 12" in and working your way out.

Been prying on it really hard and worried about damaging something as it has not budged. Crutchfield tech had no suggestions and said their info had not been updated since 2002. No mention is made about removing or doing anything with the third brake lamp. Says you have to get the shade out to remove two bolts that are hidden under it that hold a bracket off the parcel shelf down.

Looked at the 02 pdf shop manual. I did not see where it mentions removing the rear shade. According to what I see there, you remove the seat belt anchors, remove the trim on the parcel tray so that the anchor can go through and then everything seems to pull out from under the glass end of the tray. Only thing I belive it said to do was remove the 3rd brake light first (going off memory there).

Looked at the haynes manual and it says to get the parcel tray out you need to remove the bolts in the child safety hook area. Only one that has said anything about this. The tray does not appear to be attached to this point from what I can see. Only looked at the passenger side one, but looks like the tray fits over it. The Haynes says you have to remove the third brake light, but says nothing about having to remove the shade!

Pulling what little hair I have left out at this point.

I really need to know the real deal on getting this thing removed as I can't afford to replace a bunch of broken or damaged stuff trying to get it out with conflicting instructions. Has anyone done this job on an 05 xle?

Anyone have the straight scoop and can help? I've got the car torn apart and need to get the job done pretty quick as it is the only transport we have. Please help!
Thanks!

PS Been in the trunk and verified there are no clips at all sticking down into the trunk from the shade. I've tried prying REALLY hard and that thing is welded in! HELP HELP HELP!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 PM

Its looking complicated you might need assistance from an expert...

Old 04-01-2011, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

Is this a fold down seat?

Old 04-01-2011, 06:50 AM

Hi, Yes, the seat folds down. I have the pins out of the trim on the front, the side seat bolsters out, the roof sail panels out, the third brake light out. The panel will lift free on the front edge where the child safety hooks are and speaker grills, but something is holding it at the rear window roller shade.

Unable to find how that roller shade comes out of the 2005 or if anyone has definite knowledge of any "tricks" on getting it out. I don't want to damage anything back there. HELP

Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

The front is free, ah.

Have no experience with this year of car.

The manual states there are plastic "claws" at the back of the tray. The drawings are not the best however another reference to "claws" states to use a taped over flat blade screw driver inserted between the panel and whatever it is next to it.

In my experience with claws they are clips molded with the panel when it was made and positioned along the panel edge. They are about 1/2 to 1 inch wide.

When the panel is pushed into place the claw portion of clip is pushed back (retracted) by the adjoining panel. Once the panel is far enough back the claw springs back and the now engages the adjoining panel from behind.

The taped over flat blade screw driver when inserted forces the claw back from behind the adjoining panel allows this portion of the panel to be pulled slightly forward. If one works around the panel at all the claws the panel will eventually be free to pull completely out.

Unfortunately Toyota appears to use decks from two different manufacturers each having a different layout pattern for the claws. One setup also has some kind of partition board while the other does not.

If you send a private message with email address can send a file with drawings that may help you.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:00 PM

Okay, got it done. Thanks for those who posted. As some of you have said above, the lack of info on this subject is the issue. I've written a pretty long description of what needed to be done on the Sound Domain forum. I've just finished and took a long while to do so I hope I can be lazy and post a link here for anyone else who is in the same boat.

Not sure how to make sure it will come up for people doing a search on how to get the tray or roller out. Maybe someone can help with that? I also hope that it is okay to post the link to my post on another board giving the info and pictures.

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthre.../1#Post1896237

Old 07-09-2015, 05:01 PM
Default Thread back from the dead

Just doing some maintenance work on the computer and saw the pictures of my parcel shelf and roller shade removal. I remembered my post about the it so looked to see if it was still active and came up in searches if someone needed help.

Now realize that the Sound Domain website appears to be having problems or something, so my link is not working to my large post about how the parcel shelf came out with that tricky roller shade in my model car.

If it is okay to post a link to another Toyota site (I hope so as I'd hate to have to redo all that posting and picture work again) then it can be found at:
2005 Camry XLE roller shade & shelf removal - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Hope it helps someone out there.
Cheers

Old 07-09-2015, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the follow up, nice to see how it all went.
We encourage people to post whatever links are necessary to help one another.
Thanks again.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:34 AM

thanks for the update....I have an '04 Camry & this info will come in handy soon....

Old 07-10-2015, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Patonium
Thanks for the follow up, nice to see how it all went.
We encourage people to post whatever links are necessary to help one another.
Thanks again.
Thank you. Glad the link was okay.

Quick Reply: 2005 Camry XLE rear parcel shelf removal?