General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

2005 Camry XLE rear parcel shelf removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by 53burb
thanks for the update....I have an '04 Camry & this info will come in handy soon....
Glad it will help. I would recommend that you use my post as part of a few resources to do the job. I found that it seemed like each source I looked at varied slightly in procedure. I can only assume that perhaps there were slight variances in the different model years or perhaps trim levels (mine being an 05 XLE with rear shade and jbl).

Of the various sources I had, none of them was totally correct or provided all the info I needed. Especially when it came to the rear shade area. I hoped that by posting and showing detail of the job on my car, that fellow owners may have another resource to add to the knowledge pool and get a better idea of how things are held in so they could do the job easier without, hopefully, damaging parts in the process. I hoped that the detail of the rear shade especially and its retaining clips, how they work and showing a good way to safely release the end clips with a simple tool, would prove helpful to others and again, reduce part damage potential.

Yours may be much easier if you don't have the shade.

Since I wrote my bit of a "how to" I now see there is a Youtube video that has been posted that might help you also. The video provides good info (maybe better than mine especially as I tend to be so long winded ), but hopefully my post still provides useful info, detail and useful pictures.

Here is the link to the video to add to the knowledge base.

Best of luck with it!

Cheers

Old 07-10-2015, 09:20 PM

thx...mine is an LE with the standard stereo. I want to keep the same head unit, but change the speakers. I don't have a rear shade. Not really sure what that is either...

Old 07-11-2015, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 53burb
thx...mine is an LE with the standard stereo. I want to keep the same head unit, but change the speakers. I don't have a rear shade. Not really sure what that is either...
Your car will be easier to do. The rear shade is like a mesh type roller blind that is attached to the parcel shelf. You can then pull the shade up, so it extends in front of the rear window, and hook it to the roof to hold it in place. The shade does a nice job of blocking the sun, but you can still see through it.
I assume you still have the stock head unit. No problem to use this to power the new rear speakers, but you may want to check the factory speakers ohm rating. The rating on mine were around 2 ohms if I remember correctly. Most aftermarket are 4 ohm. Without getting into a big discussion on the subject, basically what you may find is that by just replacing the speakers you will get (depending on speakers used) more detailed sound with better range ability, but it may not appear to give the same volume performance. Of course you can turn it up more than you usually do, but then you do chance getting into the realm of potential distortion. Basically driving the system into clipping.
Don't let me put you off doing the job though. I only mention as you may, depending on your ultimate goals for the system, consider adding an amp later. Cheers

Old 07-12-2015, 03:42 AM

cool, thank you very much for the info!!