General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Camry Struts Leaking 22,000 miles. PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Default 2007 Camry Struts Leaking 22,000 miles. PLEASE HELP

so i have 2007 Camry as well with only 22,000 miles. I went to the dealership where i bought my car. I explained that a few months ago that a mechanic told me that my struts were leaking and i should take care of it. So i went in today because my car is very rough. When i go over a bump, i feel it in my chest it is so rough. So they inspected the car and they told me that the struts are leaking a little and that is 100% normal and you can go home. I said any other issues? He goes yes you have to change your tires because they are warn out. I drive to work and home never speed or anything. I did research and see that tires wearing out at 22,000 miles is usually due to the struts. I asked what can i do about this really uncomfortable ride, and he said well, we can't really do anything about it. What should i do now? My 3 year warrenty expires next month. I emailed Toyota it said it will take them a few weeks to respond to my email. Please help me out. Thanks

Old 06-08-2010, 03:17 PM

I would get your struts replaced with whoever told you it needed them. Any shop can do the work and it wont void the rest of your warrenty. Dealerships just tell you that to scare you. Also it is normal for struts to have a small film of oil on them, however if there are large drips or excessive amounts they probably do need to be replaced. Hope this helps.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Toyota dealers have a Toyota service bulletin that explains how much shock oil leakage is OK, as Blackey777 states a thin film is OK.

Have someone who knows about tires look at your tires. Worn shocks will cause a distinct cupped wear pattern on the tires.

This site has a ongoing post about Camry shocks wearing out prematurely.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:34 PM

The dealership is the last place I would go for struts. Any tire store can do them, look for coupons in the paper. Get the alignment too. The alignment might not be needed (the tech CAN bolt everything up in the same place) but start fresh. Cupped or feathered tires could also be from not rotating the tires. A McPherson strut suspension (no upper control arm) will always wear the tires funny no matter how good the alignment is. A lot of alignments get sold this way but frequent tire rotations are the best way to make tires last.