General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics Guides
Print Wikipost

2007 v6 camry xle - vsc/check engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Default 2007 v6 camry xle - vsc/check engine

The VSC and check engine light came on in 2007 Camry at 44,000 miles. Both lights went off after sitting for a while and now have both come back on. I don't know if it's a coincidence but it has happenned both times during rainfall. Is the VSC system covered under the power train warranty?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Default new coil required

I took my 2007 camry by the dealership today and they ran the codes. They said it needs a new coil for cylinder "D". Which one is cylinder D, I assume that is #4 but not sure of correct location. Are coils hard to replace yourself?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

This would be the No 4 cylinder. This is the center cylinder on the bank closest to the radiator.

Removing the coil is easy enough, one issue may be any items in the way of the removing the coil.

The VSC light will come on with the check engine. The computer turns the VSC system off to save engine power.

Last edited by toyomoho; 11-08-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Default check engine light came back on

I replaced the front middle ignition coil and spark plug and the check engine/vsc lights went off for approximately five days. They both came back on again. Do I have to reset the codes or is there something else wrong? Thanks for any assistance.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Toyota refers to coil D as also No 4. The link below shows cylinder location.

http://www.synapdev.com/downloads/eg043-07.pdf

Thus the correct coil was misplaced.

If you still have the diagnostic sheet from the dealer determine if it has any trouble codes listed. Such as P0354.

Often auto parts store will read codes for free or loan out a code reader. Attempt to get the codes read again.

The link below has trouble code info the coils.

http://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%9...em/0060037.pdf

It could be the dealer misdiagnosed the problem. Without the original codes the dealer found or new codes that may be now stored it is difficult to trouble shoot. It code be another problem besides the coil.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Default code 0356

I ran the codes again and now the code p0356 came up - ignition coil F. Does it seem strange that when I replace one ignition coil another code error comes up for a different one? I also noticed that my factory remote start does not work all the time, do you think this is related? I had problems with the factory remote draining the battery in the past. Toyota replaced some ECU based on a TSB about 9 months ago.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Are you sure the dealer give you the correct info about cylinder "D?"

Not normal for the codes to move around.

You can try swapping your known new good coil for the supposed bad one and determine if the code follows the "bad" part.

What was the original problem leading to the ECU change? Was this do to a number of these coil codes coming up at once?

Doubt if the remote problem is related to the the coil issue.

Are you ever leaving the key in the ign or door agar?

The Camry hybrid has been having issues with the remote start computer causing the battery to drain. I don't know if the non-hybrid has the same computer but might. The problem seems to occur in very cold temps. The fix is a new remote start computer.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Default coil problem

I saw the read out at the dealer and it did show coil D originally and the new code shows coil F, seems strange. The ECU was replaced on some TSB because it was some how related to the factory remote draining the battery. Is there some way to find the TSB's on the factory remote starts?

Old 11-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Default testing coils

is there a way to test whether an ignition coil is good? How do use a multimeter to test?

Old 11-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Might do a Google search on remote start, Camry, TSB. You are not the only one that had this problem.

Thought the remote start computer was not the same as the engine computer.

You can use a meter to check the coils. See Private Message for details.

Quick Reply: 2007 v6 camry xle - vsc/check engine