General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Camry XLE V6 "check VSC system" w/check engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Default 2009 Camry XLE V6 "check VSC system" w/check engine

And the stability warning light as well. It turned on 2 hours into a trip. When we stopped along the way and turned it back on, the engine light was on and then the other lights and message came up after a few seconds. Now nothing is on, and everything seems fine-- as it did when the lights were all on. Ugh. The only thing I can think of is I hit a deep bump in my driveway last night. I normally try to straddle it and hit it hard by accident. Could that have done it?

Old 05-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

If the lights stay off, then it was one time event. If the lights keep coming back, have the trouble codes downloaded. Some auto parts stores will do this for free.

Make sure the VSC issue is causing the check light to come on.
If say the engine were to have a problem triggering the check light. The check light can trigger the VSC to turn off to reduce engine HP demands.

The car can be driven with the VSC off. Just remember there would be no traction control.

If the check engine lights starts to blink, get the car to a mechanic ASAP! This indicates a gross misfire that can damage the cars emissions system exhaust converter.

For the VSC system. Each tire has a wheel RPM sensor. The VSC computer compares the RPM of each tire. If they differ the VSC will act as as a result of its programming.

It will either engage as the software may indicate the tires may be slipping due to traction issues. Or set the malfunction light (VSC light) as its software indicates the difference in tire RPM's is due to a malfunction in the system.

The VSC is constantly running self checks when driving the car. If the lights stays off, the system is OK.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:22 PM

Thanks! It appears to have been a one time thing, but I will definitely get it checked if it happens again.