General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 hit in parking lot, won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Default 2010 hit in parking lot, won't start?

Okay, I'm new here and I'm actually posting for my mom rather than myself. She owns a 2010 Camry with 14k miles. I wanted to give you those details, so you could try and help us figure out what could be wrong with this vehicle (considering all dealerships will be closed tomorrow).

She and my father parked it at a local grocery store and went in, the car was acting fine at this time. When they came back out they noticed the front bumper had been hit on the passenger side. The hit put a few scratches on it, some down to the urethane. Of course it was a hit and run... no one was waiting to notify them of what they had done. My father gets in the car to start it, but it's a no go... battery was dead. Police and Toyota roadside assisstance were notified.

My father found jumper cables and a gracious passerby allowed him to get a jump start and the Camry finally started after a few attempts. Roadside was cancelled and my parents drove home. On the way they said the engine light, ABS light, and some other light? was on. THe electronics in the car, such as cd player, were acting crazy. They got the car home, turned it off, then it would not start again.

My question is, how could the car getting hit (not very hard) cause the battery to drain every time it's turned off? Was something knocked lose? I need some advice and help on this one.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Would be strange if the hit caused any problems. Thought the bumpers would good for 5 mph.

There have been a few internet posts for this year of car on battery drainage when parked for longer periods of time. Some fan or other device was still cycling even when the ign key was off. Defective relay. The result is the battery goes dead.

Or could be something else.

You can check to make sure all the relays are firmly plugged in (look in the various plastic boxes inside the car), the battery cables are firmly connected, the wiring plug at the alternator also firmly connected.

Given the car is still under warranty suggest you have it towed to the dealer and let them deal with it. It may or may not be a simple fix, other components may now be damaged, etc.

Once fixed, make sure everything works such as radio, etc.