General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Camry LE Hybrid Weird Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 08:45 AM
Default 2021 Camry LE Hybrid Weird Problem

We had this weird problem twice and just now confirmed what's happening. Here's the scenario. My wife and I stop at MCD for a quick to go order. I exit the car and go into MCD and my wife stays in the car and locks the doors. I come out of MCD and my wife seeing me unlocks the doors. I get into the car press the start button and it will not start says to press the brake pedal. After trying multi times I get out of the car lock and unlock the door and get back in and again no start. We both get out of the car and I lock the doors and then unlock them and it starts. We have been able to duplicate this and the problem is if she locks the doors I must unlock them from the FOB b/c if she unlocks them it will not start. The first time this happened we were ready to call a tow truck until by dumb luck we got it started. The 2nd time, several months later, we had recalled the first time and both exited the car locked doors and unlocked and it worked.

Thanks,
Mike
mjneiner@aol.com

Old 02-20-2023, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

If the press brake message is displayed is the brake switch working? Next time it happens have spouse check for brake lights.

The brake pedal does need to be pressed before pressing start button.

Check Smart Key for failing battery.

The car is supposed to have a Smart Key disable switch. Check the owner’s manual.

Is the alarm off when attempting to start engine?

Some owners of older cars have needed to replace a bad start button. Try FIRMLY pressing the brake pedal then holding the start button down for over 10 seconds.

A side bar question, is the ONLY time this happens as at this same store?

Might clue the dealer in to get problem on record and perhaps get some pointers. You are not the first to have this problem!