ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

2014.5 Camry XLE warning beeping after door locked manually

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 12:25 AM
Default 2014.5 Camry XLE warning beeping after door locked manually

Hello, Couldn't find this problem in a search. And there are two versions in this problem.
(1) (My usual way of locking doors.) I lock either driver or passenger door using manual lock button on inside of door. I'm outside car to walk away and car warning beeps are sounding. I walk away to distance FOB from car just to check nothing interfering. It keeps beeping and soon after the beeps stop. But I don't think the doors are locked. I walk away and return. My hand to handle to unlock door finds that it has been unlocked.
(2) Then I try the FOB when outside car to lock up. It works and no warning beeps. When I return, I first try hand to door handle, but the locked door won't unlock. So I try the FOB and doors unlock.

No FOB left in car. I changed the battery in FOB to check again. Didn't fix problem.

Is there a setting in car for this? Did I accidently do something to change lock system? That can happen. These cars have a mind of its own.
example: I like when inside roof lights turn on or dim off when entering car and starting car. I often throw these inside lights off by touching a wrong button or opening the door at the wrong time.
But I have never had this door lock problem before.
So I'm asking if there is a setting to correct, before I go to the dealer. And I wonder if my car mechanic could check this.
Thanks!

Old 01-28-2023, 12:41 AM

I might add this complaint because I'm curious if anyone else thinks this.
This generation Camry has so many Blind Spots that it's very annoying. I need to bend my head around and double and triple check up and down and around before turning onto a road. Or when changing lanes on larger routes and highways.

And the front seat is too high or the roof is too low. More the roof. I'm 5'6" and always hit my head when getting in car. I need to lower the seat before exiting car so it will be in better position to not hit head when I return. I also manuever myself so I don't hit my head. If I'm not paying attention, bang, I hit.
What strange problems from Toyota.
If these problems haven't corrected in future Camrys, I'm really considering the next car will not be Toyota, or at least not a Camry.

Otherwise, the car is great as my previous ones have been.

Old 01-28-2023, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

This issue may be very challenging to deal with.

For better or worse, the cars electrical system is now digital. When one presses a button, turns a switch, etc, the button/switch communicates with a computer that then sends a signal to the appropriate device to say turn on or off.

The wiring is no longer a direct connection between switch and device as like a flashlight, home wiring, etc. In the digital system a series of high/low signals are sent rather then one electrical signal as in the electrical power being turned totally on/off..

Strange issues can arise from bad wiring, bad wiring connection, a problem computer and low electrical voltage. A decent OBDII reader/scanner can check for proper communication between electrical devices. The OBDII system has trouble codes for communication issues.

What to do?

The year of Camry has had complaints. It appears most revolve around the wiring harness.

Are there any add on electrical devices in the car such as cell phone charger, add on alarm, etc?

Any other FOB's in the area.

How is the engines battery voltage, battery connections, etc. Lower voltage can cause issues yet the car seems to be starting OK. If you disconnect the battery take note the radio settings will be lost and the engine need to relearn idle speed.

in some makes of cars disconnecting the battery and letting the car sit for time seems to purge the electrical gremlins. But again all electrical settings such as radio will be lost and the engine will need to relearn idle speed..

Have someone check the car via an OBII device that can read both generic and Toyota codes plus do real time monitoring of the signals.

Read the owners manual. There are some user input settings to change door locking process, etc.

One more thing. Did the cars battery every go dead when still connected to the car? Dying batteries can cause electrical problems.

Old 01-28-2023, 03:55 PM

Hi toyomoto, You’ve always been the best. Thank you again.
This is all good info and definitely beyond my handling. But various strategies to check.
I think my savvy mechanic has this device.
I’m checking on Monday.

Thanks so much.

Old 01-31-2023, 07:39 AM

I return with embarrassment. It was very busy yesterday and I left car with mechanic. The device checker didn’t show anything. My mechanic was considering to reset the car. But somehow they needed to move passenger seat backwards. They heard and found a key fob between seat and center console. (a narrow area)
Two days prior I needed a driver and my daughter drove us somewhere thinking with spare fob they keep. I drove us back thinking with my own fob in my pocket. Daughter was now in passenger seat. Theirs must have fallen. I dropped her off. I go home and park in garage where I don’t need to lock car. Beeping not triggered until I use car two days later.
Yikes! and technology!

So sorry for the bother. But great info posted for someone’s future dilemma.
Thank you again Toyomoho. Have a good day.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

No bother here!

Good you found the issue and at low cost.