General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2AZ-FE (Camry 2009 2.4L SE) Throttle Body ports

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 09:35 PM
Default 2AZ-FE (Camry 2009 2.4L SE) Throttle Body ports

Hi all -

Another forum to visit I see I have a 2009 SE, 2.4L with about 178k on the odo, bought it new. As you can see I put a few miles on it. Was having BAD rpm stutter and choking out, massive acceleration hesitation, so was cleaning the TB (again) and noticed that as my helper depressed the gas pedal the valve did not open at all once (he was to the floor), and when it would open it was in very slow, stuttering and electro buzzing steps. So I ordered a pull off a crashed ride to replace it. Did so last night.

One of the ports, when I pulled the hose off mine, had a fair amount of liquid come out. Seems like it was simple water based on smell, color and consistency. Can anyone tell me what each numbered port does on these? #3 was the one that had the (water?). Wondering if that was a lot of condensate (it sat for almost 2 weeks in weather that went cold cold then warmer a lot) or some by product of EVAP or something.

Name:  Snap5_zps98801e2d.jpg
Views: 10853
Size:  119.3 KB

This "new" TB has not solved the issues totally. It tries to die on crank (rpms drop to low 600's), then races up to 2k, then down to around 1k and tries to drop lower and shudders a bit, then races back up a bit before settling into the 1k area, and it still tries to choke down on initial take off, with some hesitation still. I drove it over 100 miles today off and on, so think the computer should be dialed in by now.

Brand new plugs, cleaned MAF sensor recently, good air filters. I do have bad fouling on my plugs (consuming about 1 qt per 1k or so) so am planning a rebuild this summer. Trying to isolate out what may be causing this (vacuum, fuel components, etc.) No codes being thrown.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:12 PM

This is a video just now of my idle issues. The engine has been sitting for over an hour (engine temp still in the 80's, whereas it will be in the low 40's in the morning after sitting all night). You see the engine race up over 2k afer a shaky start - I am not touching the gas pedal - and then it bounces below 700 back up over 1.2k, etc, before stabilizing in the 800's. You see I have put 168 miles on it since my new plugs, and 88 miles today after the new throttle body installed. The camera mic did not pick up any real engine sound so I just deleted the audio track to eliminate the mic hiss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOEh...ature=youtu.be

The rapid rpms and smell of rich mixture makes me think I am running rich, but my bad hesitation makes me think lean. Maybe a fuel pump issue?

Old 12-05-2014, 12:14 PM

I found the port descriptions on my alldatadiy sub. Woo hoo!

The red circled port is the No. 1 throttle body hose. It seems that as of 2010 that is no longer an option on replacement TBs from Toyota, and according to a TSB (T-SB-0111-10) that hose can be trashed and the port on the other end left open to atmosphere. That is why I kept seeing TBs that indicated 3 ports versus 4. Was wondering about that.

1 is the purge line
2 is the No. 2 water by-pass hose
3 is the water by-pass hose

Last edited by DIYDad; 12-05-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back with your findings, nice pic too. So that circled port can have the hose removed from it? As well as the other end of the hose? Where does that hose attach from the TB? Will removing the hose help anything?
I'm just really curious as I have the 2AZ-FE engine as well but I'm not having any issues with it.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:56 PM

From what I read in the TSB, it is not indicating it can be removed; just that if you replace the TB with a new one that has only 3 ports you should remove that hose from the car. It runs back to the housing where the MAF sensor is connected. I'll snap a pic tomorrow and post it. They sat you can leave the nipple coming out of the air assembly where that hose attaches exposed to the air, no need to plug it.

I am compiling a video of my issues - looking like maybe a misfire problem. I'll explain in the post coming up, but you can hear it in the video. I'll make a new thread and post a link to it here (since it is a new topic really).

UPDATE: video in the misfire thread: https://www.camryforums.com/forum/en...-engine-49896/

Last edited by DIYDad; 12-05-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

If the TB does not have coolant flowing through it (has air instead), the idle can vary all over the place.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
If the TB does not have coolant flowing through it (has air instead), the idle can vary all over the place.
It definitely had coolant as it came splashing out when I pulled that hose, so no worries there.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by DIYDad
From what I read in the TSB, it is not indicating it can be removed; just that if you replace the TB with a new one that has only 3 ports you should remove that hose from the car. It runs back to the housing where the MAF sensor is connected. I'll snap a pic tomorrow and post it. They sat you can leave the nipple coming out of the air assembly where that hose attaches exposed to the air, no need to plug it.

I am compiling a video of my issues - looking like maybe a misfire problem. I'll explain in the post coming up, but you can hear it in the video. I'll make a new thread and post a link to it here (since it is a new topic really).

UPDATE: video in the misfire thread: https://www.camryforums.com/forum/en...-engine-49896/
Wow, I know this thread is ages old, but I've been doing a lot investigating into my own 2AZ-FE (2009 camry) and just wanted to clarify that the throttle body port that became obsolete, so to speak, has an L shaped hose & the other end connects to a small port on the intake manifold, not near the MAF housing. It's unclear to me what it's for or what it was intended for because there doesn't appear to be any vacuum while engine is running. I've tested with the hose removed. Perhaps just a redundant drain pipe in the case one of the water lines leak?