General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3Gen 96 Camry V6 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:32 AM
Default 3Gen 96 Camry V6 Problems

Hi,

We currently own a 1996 3rd Gen Toyota Vienta (Camry) 3VZ-FE Engine with 4 Speed O/D Automatic.

There are a few small problems that I wish to address with it.

* Firstly sometimes when the car is running on a slight incline we get a funny smell entering the cabin and when we take off the smell goes away. It doesnt always happen just sometimes.

* Secondly sometimes when the car has just been started and we are driving around we hear this sudden loud sound (like a car with a mod loud exhaust). It only happens when this car is cold and once we drive around for a while, turn the car off, start and continue driving it goes away. It only happens at a certain rev range and if you push the accelerator the sound goes away until you hit that rev range again.

* Thirdly when we start the car we sometimes feel a random thud it can be constant (every few secs) or once everywhile. If we are driving at norm speed it is ok its only when we are stationary or going slow it happens. Could this be the mounts???

Thanks for any help. They are only minimal problem but I just wish they weren't there anymore. Ask me for any more info needed

Old 06-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Default RE: 3Gen 96 Camry V6 Problems

*yu mit be smelling the cat (routen egg smell) or oil is leaking from the back of the valve cover (burning oil smell)

*this could be anthing. loose motor mount may be...hard to tell with out hearing it myself.

*thisis also hard to diag over the internet...would need to hear myself

Old 07-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Default changed battery, will not start

96 Toyota Camry

Battery was dying, bought a new one, now the car won't start, have lights, however no radio. checked all fuses. changed 100 amp alternator relay, also 15 amp ECU/B fuse, and 15 Amp EFI fuse, all blown and replaced, still car will not start. Everything was fine till I decided after 4yrs. should maybe buy a new battery. Now I have problems. With new batttery in, there is a click under hood when trying to turn over car, however no noise at all inside. Anyone have any clues for me? New Battery was tested today by Auto Zone and is good. Thank You

Old 08-13-2009, 03:44 AM

sounds like poor connection between the battery terminals and the terminal clamps...had this problem on my old corolla. take off the terminal leads and clean them with a wire brush till you get good shiny metal all around the inside, then gob em up with dialectic grease and hook em up...should solve the problem. if that's not it i'd check for bad ground connection to the motor or frame...chase down the (-) lead and see where it goes...then look for rust. good luck.