General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 Camry question about rear shocks sagging down?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:36 AM
Default 87 Camry question about rear shocks sagging down?

Hello,
I have a 87 Camry 2.0 5 speed and the rear of the car is sagging down quite low. I have replaced the shocks they are new and working fine. I am thinking the problem here is the coil springs are sagging down low with the age of the car and perhaps this is a problem with this car please advise me with this question? I would like to know why/what is causing this and how to fix the problem. If indeed it is the coil springs then please advise me if its worth the effort and money of changing out and putting new coil springs on the car it has 170k on it. I think that it would be quite risky to change the coil springs in my car due to age, rust, rust on bolts back there, and taking apart so much of the car in the rear. Again I don't know that is why I am here asking so please advise me here as I am sure there is others on here who have had the same problem with the back of the car sagging low. Thanks for your help in advising me here as to what the problem is and what to do to fix the problem.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:15 AM

Shocks don't hold the car up. They just dampen spring oscillations. It's the spring's job to keep the car at the right height. If it's sagging, it's the springs. Shop manuals list a "ride height" measurement and where to measure. If you car sits below that ride height, the only way to fix it is to install new springs. Spring "helpers" blocks that shove into the coils work for a while but risk breaking the spring coils. Only you can decide if it's worth it to replace them.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Default hi

Hello there,
Thanks for getting back to me I concur with you its the springs. I will get some from the junk with low milage and do it myself.