General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 camry starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Default 87 camry starting issue

my girlfriend has a 87 camry and has just started having an issue starting.

i have figured out that the only time the fuel pump is getting power is when the car is bieng cranked over or running. it does not get power when just the ignition is in the on position without the car running.

so my question is,what controls the power source for the fuel pumpand where do i find it?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:19 AM
Default RE: 87 camry starting issue

I would say the pump operationsounds normal. If you get in an accident and the ignition switch is still on with the engine off you don't want fuel pressure in case there is a fuel line break. I don't know how the 87's setup knows the difference between engine off or on withignition on, but it may have a vacuum switch interlock that cuts the fuel pump relay when the engineis not running. I'd be more interested in fuel pressure at crank and run. If you get normal operation once started then I doubt it's fuel pressure. A "starting issue" can have many causes and you didn't give muchinformation.

Edit:A review of my manual says to bridge termnals FP & +B of the check electrical connector(4 cyl'd). I don't have the car here right now to say where that connector is. But jumping those terminals seems to start the fuel pump when key is at ON. The problem is you'll need a banjo adapterfor the fuel filter to test pressure. I still don't thinkit's a fuel problem.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:01 PM

thanks for the reply, i know about the jumping the the two wires in the diagnostic plug and i know the fuel pump works, but in the morning or after sitting for 6 or more hours it will not start until you crank the engine over a few times. i had a multimeter under the back seat and was checking voltage, i tried turning key off and then on and got nothing.

i fugured the pump shouldn't stay running when the car is off but it should stay on long enough to build pressure in the lines. this car gets no voltage until you start cranking the engine.

once you crank the engine a few times it starts no problem

Old 01-18-2008, 04:53 AM

Well you're not going to know fuel pressure at cranking without a gauge. There may be a check valve in the fuel pump that helps hold pressure when the engine is off, or at least prevents drain back. If your ignition system is well maintained and putting out the proper spark then it may be fuel related. One other cause may be injector leakage. If an/the injector(s) leak down the fuel pressure with engine off then you will have a flooded condition when starting that will take a few cranks to flush out. One test may be to remove the plugs and let the car sit fora number of hours. Anyinjector leakage should evaporate through the plug holes. Then just before starting replace the plugs and see if it starts any easier.Anothertest would be to get an engine oil analysis to see if you have excess fuel in the oil. Theanalysis is $20 through Blackstone Labs.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:33 PM

u should only have power at the pump in the crank position only now just with the key on.