General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 camry brake and battery lights on

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 04:53 PM
Default 91 camry brake and battery lights on

The other night the battery and brake lights came on. Took the car to autozone the next day, had them test my battery. They said it was a bad battery so I purchased a new one.

Coming home from work the same day, I noticed my lights were very dim, the dashlights, etc. On the freeway, I slammed on the gas but my car acceleration had slowed and slowed to a stop. I pulled over to the shoulder and turned on my hazards. Even the hazards starting slowing down as if power was draining from the car.

After googling around, I was sure my alternator was the problem. AAA guy said the same.

Went to Autozone got two alternators. They said, "if your VIN begins with a 1 or a 4, get this one." Didn't think my car needed anything special. It didn't work. The second one I got from another autzone. They said, "if your VIN begins with a 2, take this one." This time, I tell them, my VIN begins with a J. Still, they tell me, their alternator is from Canada and the first number in my VIN sequence is 2 so it should work, it didn't.

Tried an independent alternator shop who was adamant that they had the right alternator. Installed and it didn't work.

Called toyota and they've got the special order alternator, took my VIN, etc.

I only self-diagnosed the problem. Could it be a fuse or wire? Does this actually sound like it is the alternator?

Old 01-15-2018, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

What engine 4 or 6 cylinder?

Did the problems go away for a time after the new battery?

If having a volt meter, check battery voltage after the car has sat for approx 30 minutes. A fully charged battery is 12.6v.

If possible start engine and check battery voltage at 2000 RPM. Should be 13.9 to 15.1v if engine cold. Approx 13.5 to 14.3v if engine warm.

What is the first letter/number of your VIN?
J = Japan built
2 = Canada