General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 camry not starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 03:53 AM
Default 92 camry not starting

hey guys.ive recently run into a problem.when my car is cold and i try to start the car it just turns over but doesnt start.after like 10 min. of pumping the gas and turning the key it finally starts.when it starts it stumbles and stays at low really low rpm's.after revving the car higher than like 3k rpms for a minute or so it starts running normal with no problems.this problem only happens when the car is cold.ive already changed the oil,oil filter,fuel filter,spark plugs,thermostat,hoses,and also threw in the new lucas fuel additive.ive any body can please help me id appreciate it.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:43 AM
Default RE: 92 camry not starting

Skip Lucas products.

1) Clean your IAC valve
2) Clean & test the cold-start injector
3) Check for vacuum leaks

Old 02-02-2006, 11:14 PM

Cold start injector (sounds like it) but like the guys above me said,clean some stuff up too.If it starts after you pump it up that sounds like a definite fuel problem in cold weather.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:15 PM

Cold start injector (sounds like it) but like the guys above me said,clean some stuff up too.If it starts after you pump it up that sounds like a definite fuel problem in cold weather.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:16 PM

Next time it does that try a little experiment.Get someone to pour some gas on a rag,and get them to hold the soaked rag against the throttle body or the intake hose,see if it fires up.

Old 02-03-2006, 03:02 AM

well guys as i was leaving my job i got into my car and it didnt start.the engine turns but it wont fire.i dont think its a fuel problem cuz i can smell lots of gas fumes when i pump the gas as i try to start it.timing belt is fine.every thing else is fine.now im wondering if its the distributor.maybe im not getting any spark.sure as hell feels like its not sparkin.guys please help.this is the only car i have and i rely on it alot.

Old 02-03-2006, 03:32 PM

Stick your finger in one of the ignition wires and try starting it,see if it is alive, j/k. Try a new distributor,plugs,and wires.And clean the engine up real good (sea foam or something) If that doesn't work (it should) then you need to take it to the shop

Old 02-03-2006, 11:25 PM

i took out the spark plugs and they were all soaked in gasoline.id imagine that if they are soaked in gas that the distributor wont spark through them.any opinions?maybe the car got flooded in gas?

Old 02-05-2006, 05:09 PM

well guys the car was flooded but also when i tested the distributor for spark it was very weak almost nuthin.im gonna try changin the coil and see if that helps.thanks guys.ill keep you posted.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:32 AM

i checked the distribitor and it was fine.i have checked every possible thing on the car that can be of the cause.except the ecu.can it be the ecu?maybe it went bad.im losing my patience and am about to throw the car away.

Quick Reply: 92 camry not starting