General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Camry Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:57 AM
Default 92 Camry Wagon

Alright folks here we go. I have seen similar posts but it always seems to be something else. My 1992 Yota Camry Wagon just had a new fuel pump/filter/tank/sock replaced. Now I have no power to the pump. All the fuses are good. Next steps?

1. Relays?
2. Inertia Switch? Where is the location of this switch?
3. Fusible link? Is there one?
4. Fuel Pump Switch? Is there one?

What is a good repair manual for this year/make/model that can help?

Thanks in advance, sorry for being such a noob.

The reason we replaced all of these is because the wagon was a tow behind vehicle that had sat during winters and rotted the fuel tank and if you do one why not all of them?

Also the vehicle was missing on at least one cylinder before we did this swap. I was thinking water in the fuel as we had 7 inches of rain in one day and there are hole in the tank. I have 160k miles on this and do not know about the timing belt.

Thanks again.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Is this a V6 or 4 cylinder engine?

Did you have a shop do the repairs and if so did the shop start the engine once repairs were complete?

The pump will only operate if the engine is cranking over during starting or running.

There is no inertia switch.

Look in the engine compartment for a small plastic box mounted on the drivers or passengers strut tower. Inside the small box are electrical terminals. Us a section of wire or paper clip to connect the FP and B+ terminals. This connection will bypass any relays and allow the pump to turn on when the ign switch is turned on.

Fuses are Gauge and EFI.

Power wire at the pump is blue/black. Ground wire White/Black.

A Haynes manual would have a wiring diagram. The pump is located under the lower rear seat cushion that can be removed by pulling up from the front. Once removed there is an oval sheet metal access cover that comes off to expose the top of the tank where the pump installs.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:25 PM

V6

I had a mechanically savvy buddy do the work, he mainly works on trucks and semis though. Expertise is Diesel, but work has been slow lately.

Will try the jump and priming the system.

Anything else I need to look for?

Do I need to bleed the air out of the fuel line?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

The fuel pump is controlled by something called a circuit opening relay located behind the glove box. The relay is controlled by two sources.

When the starter system is working the relay is closed allowing the pump to operate.

When the engine starts the V6 engine has an engine manifold intake air flow sensor (MAF) that in addition to sensing airflow and air temp has an air vane switch. When the engine incoming air is moving the vane is forced open closing a switch connected to the engine computer. The computer then powers the relay above to stay closed.

The fuel system uses a pressure and return line setup much like a diesel. The main lines will prime themselves, the injectors will do so when the engine cranks over and they are cycled.

Try jumping the terminals in the box and listen for pump noise under the rear seat. Jumping bypasses the relay and other circuits powering the pump directly. If the pump does not operate with ign switch on, something is wrong in the wiring, at the pump, etc.