General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'93 V6 driver-side shaft seal replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Default '93 V6 driver-side shaft seal replacement questions

I have a '93 Camry V6 that needs a new drivers-side shaft seal. It is leaking fluid pretty bad. I took out the complete CV axle with no trouble, but it looks like I either got way too small of a seal from the shop, or I need to remove the plate on the transmission that has a larger seal on it to gain access to the smaller seal. Has anyone done a write-up on this repair? Is it actually called an "Inner Seal"?

Thank you,

T.D.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest you go to the rockauto.com site and find you make/model/year/engine type car then compare your seal with what is listed.

The trans is most likely an A540E. The trans model should be printed on a sticker, drivers side door.

The seal should install from the outside of the case.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1117872

Old 01-29-2011, 12:38 AM

I did this job recently on my 3VZ. There is only one seal, not two like you are suggesting. I found it impossible to remove the old seal while it was still in the transmission, so I removed the bearing retainer from the tranny first. You remove the dirt deflector (2 bolts) then remove all the bolts for the retainer. It's held on by RTV, so carefully pry it off. Remove all the old sealant without dropping any into the differential.

Once on the bench, there is a hole on the back side of the retainer, use a rod or punch to knock out the old seal. It will take some force, the seal is in very tightly. To put in the new seal, you will need an SST, in other words something that is the right diameter to help press in the new seal. I found something in my shop that was the right size.

Here is a diagram of the assembly. Use ATF resistant RTV when putting it back together. Take note of how the oil baffle is placed, it may fall out on you. Same goes for the bearing race, mine came out on it's own.

BTW, check to see if the spring has been dislodged from your seal. Often when pulling out the axle, it pulls on the edges of the seal and displaces the spring, all you may need to do is push it back into place.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:10 AM

I took my bd to the vet 3 days ago, because she wouldnt put on weight. The blood tests came back today. She has something wrong with the way she takes in protein and fat. I think it might be hereditary

Old 01-29-2011, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the help Veezee! This clears everything up for me. I'll get it done this weekend and get the Camry back on the road.

T.D.