General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Trans works,no power to wheels

Old 01-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Default Trans works,no power to wheels

Hey, I'm new to this forum and new to Camrys. I have a 1996 with a 4 cylinder with and automatic, I've owned it for 6 months and it's been a great car, easy to work on too. But I've got a problem that has me stumped. Engine runs great but when I put the car into gear, no power goes to the wheels. I can feel it go into gear, either forward or reverse. Something is spinning down in there. If I go and put it into park it will grind a little before whatever is spinning slows down enough for the park pawl in the trans to engage. I looked at the half shafts with the car running and the trans in gear and neither side is moving,meaning the problem must be inside the the trans case.
If anybody has an idea what this could be, I'd sure love to hear about it. Especially if you've had the same problem in the past.

Thanks in advance, Ed

Old 01-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Check the trans fluid for correct level and condition. Determine if there are signs of metal debris.

It could the differential is bad, these are the gears inside the housing the axles come out of. If you hear grinding suspect this. You can remove the diff drain plug and examine the fluid coming out for signs of metal. The plug is located on the housing the axles come out of. The fluid fill plug is typically on the back of this housing facing the firewall. If metal debris the diff is bad. Not common but happens typically if the fluid somehow leaks out.

Sometimes the torque converter clutch goes bad or could be an transmission internal problem.

Whatever the cause you will most likely need to pull the trans.

Last edited by toyomoho; 01-29-2011 at 09:24 PM.