General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 camry problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Default 94 camry problems

i replaced the timing belt and water pump and it worked fine for about 15 mins and it would start runing bad and die and didnt want to start till it sat there for a bit now it wont even start the timing right and iam just lost what to check what could it be does any one know please let me know thanks

Old 11-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Are you confident the timing belt installation is still OK. If one of the pulleys jumped a tooth it would cause issues.

Did you follow the proper procedure for adjusting the timing, this being connecting some terminals in a small box or on a plug.

Sometimes after replacing the belt the engine will run very rough, but after a time come back to normal.

When the engine would not start and sat a while, once restarted did it run normally, idle speed OK, etc.

When cranking do you smell any fuel, is the fuel pump running when the engine is cranking?

Check all the fuses such as EFI, etc. Note- there is also a fuse box behind the drivers side ash tray located where you left knee would be.

Disconnect the battery for 10+ seconds to reset the computer then try to start engine.

If no results, remove the coil wire from the distributor, turn engine over and check for spark. If no spark, here is the place to start.

If spark, find a small box on the passengers side strut tower chassis mount labeled "Diagnostic." Inside the box are electrical terminals. Use a section of wire or paper clip to connect the B+ and FP terminals. This allows the fuel pump to operate when the ign switch is on. Try starting the engine.

Report back.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:50 PM

yes after it sat it would run fine for about 15 mins then it would die but now it wont even start at all i checked the fuses

yes the cams are at tdc compression stroke and the pistion is at tcd it has spark and the fuel pump comes on with the wire connect the B+ and FP terminals

i am just compleatly lost for works and dont know what to do next could it be the fuel filter or something small like that

Old 11-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

See Private Message.