General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 camry v6 random stalling

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Question 94 camry v6 random stalling

Hi I'm a new member to this forum, I am having a stalling problem with my 94 Toyota Camry V6 3.0 Le 1MZ-FE engine AT with 250+ miles. It started randomly stalling. warm, driving with foot on pedal, at idle in drive and also at idle in park and with foot on gas in park. No codes present. Normal Lights on dash come on as key is in the on position. Sometimes I can start it right back up and other times I have to wait a couple of minutes or more. I Let the car sit for a couple of weeks or so then serviced the corroded battery terminals. Car started right up as usual and did not stall after warming up and or driving. I then drove the car daily without a stall for about month and a half. Then it began stalling again once or twice in a two day period then more and more frequently at random. Has anyone ever had or fixed this prob with this model? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by 94camryle; 10-04-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:23 PM

I had a 94 Toyota Camry before got almost same problem but decided to give it my cousin because he said he'll fix it and he does... I didn't ask what he did all he said he can manage it...

Old 10-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

The car stalls despite your giving it the gas?

How about when driving at city/hwy speeds?

Old 10-05-2011, 12:19 PM

Yes. It seems to stall in all drive conditions.

Last edited by 94camryle; 10-05-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:09 PM

Ran car till the stalling problem reoccurred.

When it stalls the check engine light is not illuminated and it wont start back up until it is illuminated.
Sometimes it stalls and stays illuminated and starts right back up. and other rimes it stalls and will not.
Ive noticed the check engine light intermittently goes off and on in relation to the stalling and starting.

key on check engine light not illuminated =no start
key on check engine light illuminated = starts

This is the 94 model with the 1MZ-FE it has an obd2 connector but also has the obd1 dlc1 connector in the engine compartment and dlc2 under dash. The obd2 connector is in the drivers dash fuse panel location.
I did check for codes using a basic obd2 Toyota compatible scanner and there were no stored codes and all the system monitors were green o.k.

Last edited by 94camryle; 10-07-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:36 PM

Now Its running fine no stalling. .. I know it will start up again in a day or more.
stalling at idle, in drive driving with foot on gas etc. I guess I will have to wait until it starts stalling again to re check things like spark, fuel etc. cant seem to catch the prob.

Lets see.. map sensor, iac, egr, ignition failure or prob would cause a code right? fuel prob no code. I can unhook map sensor iac and or egr and force a code so ecu seems to be working.

Did notice oil blow back from pcv hose going into air tube after map sensor map sensor was clean.
I cleaned out air intake tube and just for the hell of it sprayed some cleaner into the iac valve port. do not suspect aic valve since it idles fine and stalls wile giving it gas.

anyone have any other suggestions. please feel free to post.

Last edited by 94camryle; 10-19-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:49 PM

UPdate!

Car still running fine with no stall so far...

I checked the IAC ohms resistance, o.k. , tested egr valve o.k. also added some fuel system cleaner to gas tank with gas.

Car is not stalling at the moment seems to be running strong. but is has done this before. not sure about the running strong but it ran for a wile then all the sudden started stalling again.

The only thing different this time is that I did spray some cleaner in the iac valve + added some fuel system cleaner.

It has an aftermarket radio and power amp installed. Could it be possible the radio installer techs hacked into the harness and caused some kind of short in the main power / ignition wiring.?????

Checking wiring! : )

I guess without any codes to reference or if I cant find anything obvious like bad or hacked wiring etc,.. I just have to wait and see if or when it acts up again.

Any thoughts and or suggestions are welcome.

I will keep you all posted.

Thanks!

Last edited by 94camryle; 10-23-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

When the ign key is turned on, all of the dash indicator lights should turn on. If the check engine light (plus the other icons) are not turning on when the ign key is turned on, something is wrong.

This year of Camry having the V6 engine option came with an ODB system that was not fully ODBII compliant and different from the system used on the 4 cylinder model of this year.

A adapter plug/cable is needed to retrieve any codes.

Might review posts at the Toyotanation website on this as others have been in the same situation.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
When the ign key is turned on, all of the dash indicator lights should turn on. If the check engine light (plus the other icons) are not turning on when the ign key is turned on, something is wrong.

Thanks for replying!

Everything seems o.k.. only when it stalls the check engine kight goes out. And then it will not start back up until I get a illuminated check engine light. but there is no code stored. what I mean by a illuminated check engine light is when you normally turn the ignition key on it illuminates for a couple seconds then goes out which is what it is supposed to do (normal). when it stalls and wont start the light does not come on like normal it stays off.
then at random it will come back on and starts up and runs.

I was thinking possibly the ignition switch bad?
it does have over 250k miles on it.
lost the original main key and have been using the secondary ignition key and it seems a little loose. but I cant make it stall by just wiggling the key. Only when i (turn) the key towards the off position. as it should.

Is there a known way to test if the ignition switch is faulty besides just replacing them when they go bad?

>This year of Camry having the V6 engine option came with an ODB system >that was not fully ODBII compliant and different from the system used on >the 4 cylinder model of this year.

>A adapter plug/cable is needed to retrieve any codes.

I was able to scan for codes and also check monitors state with a basic obd2 generic code reader. Did force a few codes just to test to see if it would read anything and it read the codes i made happen. so It seems it is able to read obd2 generic information without any special adapter.

what p/n adapter plug/cable are you referring to please post the info.

>Might review posts at the Toyotanation website on this as others have >been in the same situation.
any suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by 94camryle; 10-25-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Default 93 camry stalling after warm have replaced temp sensor and icm still stalls

I have a 93 camry that started staling a month ago. Put fuel injector cleaner n water remover first. Tested my battery n alt. changed fuel filter. Kept stalling after driving it for maybe ten mins. Won't start right up. If I waited a few minutes then it would start but would continue.. to stall. I work ten mins away so I would drive it there n back and it would be ok. Then on two occasions bucked back on the highway the car felt like i let go of the gas. The rpm shot down bu didn't stall on highway. When it rained out it was way worse. Stalling anytime. I changed fuel filter, ignition control module, distributor cap n rotor. Read that a lot of people found it to be temperature sensor. Changed that too. Changed my spark plugs and wires. Still nothing. I left it at two mechanics. One guy it didn't stall at all. The other it never started for. So a friend suggested ignition switch. I decided to try my spare key intead of my regular key. It started fine. We went back and forth but we think we finally found it. Try using a newer key and wiggle it around flip it over and start it. Might help. The only other option is egr valve.... who knows...

Quick Reply: 94 camry v6 random stalling