General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 V6 failing inspection for high HC @ idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Based on EPA testing standards and testing equipment available, cars older then 1996 to my knowledge are not tested via the ODBII port.

The 1994 Camry with V-6 option may have an ODBII port but it is not fully ODBII compliant. Full compliance for US cars was mandated for 1996 cars.

In ODBII port testing, a tail pipe emission test may not even be done.

The tester unit needs to know the engines RPM, perhaps the box picks up this signal.

Suspect your car is being tail pipe tested, plus Check Light On (yes an automatic failure) and perhaps the gas cap check for leaks. The emission testers must know most tricks done to pass a test, placing a picture of the check light may not do it anymore.

The radiator fans should turn on when the coolant temp reaches approx 199F even if A/C does not work.

The engine has high HC at idle. High HC at idle and low HC at 2500 RPM is common.

Other causes of high HC:
EGR valve failing fully close at idle. EGR system should be off at idle.
Weak ign spark
PCV valve defective
Slow responding 02 sensor
Vacuum leaks

Old 12-24-2014, 01:42 AM
Default Still Failing Emissions Test

UPDATE:

Over the last 6 months I have been doing little fixes and each fix gets the engine @ idle speed HC reading a little lower, but still not low enough. My state (NJ) inspection limits hydrocarbons at idle speed to 220ppm.

Along with prior work listed in earlier posts, I have since replaced the PCV valve and thermostat (the H2O temp needle is now where is should be and steady), cleaned the IAC valve, removed and cleaned the entire intake plenum manifold (there was oil pooling inside it which led me to replace the PCV) and I ran Sea Foam through the air intake. I have gotten the HC readings down to 235ppm, but that's it for now.

I brought it to a local reputable mechanic to have a look at it. First, he questioned if the catalytic converter is going bad. Upon testing though, his test readings show the upstream O2 sensor on bank 1 is reading a rich fuel mixture and constantly adjusting the mixture trying to lean it out. He said it's possible I have a leaky fuel injector dumping too much fuel and thus the constant fuel mixture adjustment.

SO, now that we're all up to date...

Is there a way to test the fuel injectors individually with a pressure check of some sort? I don't want to shoot from the hip on this one and replace all 3 injectors in the bank just to fail the emissions test again.

Any other ideas of what I should be looking for?

I want to add that after running a bottle of fuel system cleaner through the gas tank with 93 octane gas (I normally run 87 octane), my HC emissions went way up (back into the 300ppm range). They have come down since. I wanted to add that info in case it helps shed some light on a deeper issue.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Suggest picking up some type of shop manual or getting service info on the fuel system.

Fuel system pressure at engine idle is 39-44 psi engine running when the fuel pressure vacuum hose disconnected. 33-38 psi when hose is connected.

With engine stopped. After waiting 5 minutes, fuel pressure should be at least 21 psi. If lower the system is leaking down. Could be pump, regulator or injectors.

Fuel pressure is measured by tapping into the system at the can fuel filter. This requires a bango fitting.

The fuel system is called a return system. The fuel pump routes fuel to the fuel rails, excess fuel is routed back to the tank. The fuel pressure regulator controls pressure by controlling the volume of fuel routed back to the tank.

Injectors can be removed and individually tested. Toyota modifies the fuel system to do this. See attached link. The info is for a Cressida but the layout is the same. Autozone may have the layout for a Camry in their self help section, or search the internet.

| Repair Guides | Gasoline Fuel Injection System | Fuel Injectors | AutoZone.com

The injectors are 12V DC. The common color wire going to the injectors is +12 volts. The individual injector colored wires go to the computer and are -12 volts. The injectors always have +12v when ign key is on, the computer grounds the negative wire to operate them.

Injector ohm resistance is 5-23 ohm.

When the injector is powered and under fuel pressure, fuel flow is 3.4-4.2 cubic inches every 15 seconds.

When injector is off (unpowered) and fuel line is still pressured, fuel leakage is limited to 1 drop per minute.

You can compare injector operation, flow, spray pattern and leakage to help identify if one is different then the others.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the expert info. It looks like some deep investigation and testing is in order, as I was sure it would be. I've been looking into the banjo fitting and testing equipment. I have a Haynes-type manual, but don't prefer them as they are a one-size-fits-all generalization at best. I do have some older downloaded Toyota manuals I'll check into as well. Hopefully I'll have some good news to reply with, it's been a while.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Post back with any results.