General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 v6 xle no start or crank! help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Default 94 v6 xle no start or crank! help

I have a 1996 camry v6 xle. It has about 152k on it really no big issues with it so far. But yesterday I go into school for a hour come out in it wont start or crank. Had my buddy in me tired to jump it nothing. It clicks once when truning key not over and over as if battery was dead. Thinking it might be the starter? Does any one know where the starter is located and anything I can do to atleast get her home? Thanks

Old 04-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 94 v6 xle no start or crank! help

Remove and clean the battery and cable terminals that may have corrosion on them. This is a common problem when engines do not turn over and don't respond to jump starting.

Check the battery cables for bad connector joints. If these are OK and you think it is the solenoid you can jump the solenoid and route power directly to the starter motor.

The starter is located behind the transmission dipstick (if automatic), perhaps hidden a little by the cruise control actuator and engine battery. If a stick shift look in the same area.

Find the starter. You should see the battery cable running to a cylinder that is the solenoid. Then look for a short section of large diameter cable running out of the solenoid connecting to the cylinder below it that is the motor. Remove the plastic cover from the terminal where the wire runs to on the motor to expose a stud and nut.

Try using a jumper cable from the positive battery terminal and touching it to this the stud, the starter should engage. Remember to start the car turn the ign key on also.