General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Camry Oil Leak (1MZ-FE)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Question 95 Camry Oil Leak (1MZ-FE)

My Camry (205K miles strong) has developed an oil leak; at first it was quite slow, but not anymore. After checking my most recent oil change to rule out the most obvious possibilities, I degreased the front of the engine compartment to try to highlight the leak location.

It appears to me that the leak does not involve the oil pan (bummer), and is possibly coming from the oil pump housing; the leak is just to the left (i.e. passenger side) of the oil filter, and above the oil pan. It is definitely not coming from the oil pressure sending unit, and I don't think it is from the cylinder head/valve cover area either, although I don't know my engine parts that well....

Effectively, the manual says this job is over my head (I can't remove timing belts, and the multiple other belt-driven parts yet, being a near-novice). Before I take it to my shop for the big bucks, though, do you have any suggestions? For instance, should I get a new timing belt or other repairs done at the same time if the oil pump needs to be taken out?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Rosettiski; 01-16-2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

The cams and crank shaft have oil seals where they enter the engine.

The pump is behind the crank timing belt gear, driven by the crank shaft and located inside a housing bolted to the passengers side of the engine. The passengers side of he oil pan is bolted to this housing.

The crank seal is also the oil pump seal.

Is oil leaking out from under the timing belt cover below the crank area?