General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Camry stall when stoping or idling..

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Default 95 Camry stall when stoping or idling..

Okay, my 95 camry Le just became symptomatic with these problems. Car starts and runs fine. After driving for around 15 or 20 minutes it starts to run slightly rougher but only when slowing down to come to a stop. It will then die at stop. When atempting to restart it takes several attempts. Once restarted it seems to run fine again. Sometimes I can drive longer and futher before it happens again and sometimes it happens within 15-25 minutes. Any ideas where I should start?? Thanks for any help you can lend.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Idle speed is controlled by the IAC valve. Cleaning the valve may help the problem. An internet search will produce hits on cleaning the valve.

Try "cleaning 5SFE IAC valve".

Sometimes the coolant temperature sensor for engine computer can go bad causing strange problems.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:08 AM

Thanks Joey, yesterday we had a new symptom. Just before dying, the car reved up to over 4000 rpms without foot being on the gas pedal. I will check out your suggestions hopefully that will help.

Sherri

Old 09-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

IAC valve controls idle speed.

Make sure for some reason the throttle plate is not moving. It is controlled by a cable going to the cruise control box then another cable gone from the box to the throttle peddle. This would be very strange but never know. If the throttle is not moving and in the idle position (closed) the IAC valve would be suspect.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:20 PM

Hi, i have a similar problem. I recently cleaned the EGR valve, now the car starts and dies. I need to keep the foot on the gas for a couple seconds then it stays running. I also have check engine light. Someone told me it was the map sensor. i also noticed the car does not have pick up and i smell crude gas. Please help this is my first car. Any ideas, i would greatly appreciate.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by sherrilynn
Okay, my 95 camry Le just became symptomatic with these problems. Car starts and runs fine. After driving for around 15 or 20 minutes it starts to run slightly rougher but only when slowing down to come to a stop. It will then die at stop. When atempting to restart it takes several attempts. Once restarted it seems to run fine again. Sometimes I can drive longer and futher before it happens again and sometimes it happens within 15-25 minutes. Any ideas where I should start?? Thanks for any help you can lend.
i def agree with toyo. the iac on my supra is stuck open right now and idles somewhere around 2500 rpm with the throttle valve fully closed. since it runs fine at first, maybe take a hair dryer or heat gun and heat up the iac while the rest of the engine is cold. then start the engine. if its running rough, then you found your problem.also, be sure to look for any vacuum leaks

Originally Posted by toyota95
Hi, i have a similar problem. I recently cleaned the EGR valve, now the car starts and dies. I need to keep the foot on the gas for a couple seconds then it stays running. I also have check engine light. Someone told me it was the map sensor. i also noticed the car does not have pick up and i smell crude gas. Please help this is my first car. Any ideas, i would greatly appreciate.
if you smell raw gas, its running really rich, which fits your symptoms, or its miss firing all together. you said you just cleaned the egr? did you remove the intake or do it on the car? a likely place to start looking is for a misrouted or un-connected vacuum line. specifically one to the fuel pressure regulator. fpr's build more pressure with the vac line disconnected, at the same time the vacuum leak further hurts performance. yeah youd be getting more fuel for the extra air, but thats a ratio that is very closely controlled by the ecu.

Last edited by tyrantfour; 10-29-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:31 PM

thank you for the quick reply. I didn't remove the intake. I recently changed the sparks plugs, cables rotor and cap. the car continues to give problems. for example. if i tap on the gas pedal the car wants to die meaning the rpms go very low and go up to normal. in addition that car does not have pick when i accelerate it takes very long time to pick up the speed. any additional help i would greatly appreciated.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 AM

Any codes?
A bad O2 sensor could cause it to run sluggish and smell like gas since the ECU thinks the car is running lean it dumps more fuel to the injectors.
If you're not getting the code though it's likely something else.