General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'96 Camry no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 04:20 PM

I'll have to get VIN and PM you tomorrow. The distributor has the 2 pin connector on the back side for the coil that has the White/Red Stripe and a Black/Red Stripe. There is also another 4 pin connector on the front side but I have been comparing that to the diagrams and have not been able to figure out what it does or goes to. There is a Yellow, (White maybe), Black, and Red. I'm going to look through the diagrams again and see if anything stands out. But with there only being 4 wires, shouldn't there be a pickup of some sort, unless that is internal. However I don't see any way for the ECM to be involved with the timing.

The diagram I am looking at (Chiltons Online) shows different colors depending on TMC or TMN production vehicles. Either of which are the colors I'm seeing at that connector.

Last edited by tzfbird; 06-01-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:39 PM

Got the water pump and Timing Belt Kit replaced this weekend. The belt was stretched by at least 1 cog. I'm hoping that takes care of it. I'm going to try and fire it tomorrow. I'm hoping I don't need to pull the valve cover and check for damaged valves. Not exactly sure what will happen if it gets to that point. I do know that while I was turning it over by hand to line up the marks it skipped over the water pump a time or two. From what I could tell the timing was still on... mark on balancer/pulley lined up with 0* on timing cover. The Cam wheel was a bit confusing but I found a 'V' larked on the "bearing cap" and I got the small hole in the Cam Wheel as close to lined up with that as I could. From the video I saw, that hole and the keyway on the crank should be in the same linear plane. I must have got it right if that is correct.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:46 PM

the 4 cyl is not a interference motor , on the cam pulley the timing mark is the hole in the gear line up with the notch on the cap , DO NOT USE THE DOT MARK BESIDE IT . is a bit tough to see the timing mark i use a inspection mirror to make sure is right on , if you doing this job at home and don't own a bench press to reset the hydraulic tensioner. probably going to need a new one then ($100 + if it is oem)

Old 06-04-2012, 09:24 PM

This one doesn't use a hydraulic tensioner. It's just a spring that pulls against one of the idler pulleys for the initial tension and then the bolt is tightened. Pretty rinky-dink but at least it works. It doesn't appear to hold tension though. So as the belt ages it just gets slack vs. a hydraulic tensioner which would take the slack out and prevent the belt from jumpping.

Last time I had to reset a hydraulic tensioner I used a giant pump pliars.

I saw one car that used the oil pressure to pressurize the tensioner. Can't remember if it was a Camry or not though since it used a chain instead of a belt.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:43 AM

Got it fired up this morning. After some sputtering and holding the throttle open a bit it started running on it's own. I disconnected the battery again to clear any possible code thrown during my first attempt(left a few wires unplugged).

Took the car for a short drive and still have a Check Engine Light on. I've tried renting a code reader but I think the connector was different than the underhood port.
I'm going to be doing some searching today but is there a way to retrieve the code without going to the dealer?

Upon returning to 0% throttle it will stumble and recover. I just want to make sure there isn't something else going on that needs addressed or if I need to give it a good inspection for a vacuum leak.

Last edited by tzfbird; 06-05-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:57 PM

Turns out there is a diagnostic port under the dash. I also found out I forgot to plug in the intake air temp sensor while I was inspecting the distributor cap. Everything is fine now.

Thank you for the help.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by tzfbird
Turns out there is a diagnostic port under the dash. I also found out I forgot to plug in the intake air temp sensor while I was inspecting the distributor cap. Everything is fine now.

Thank you for the help.
enjoy it

Old 10-15-2012, 06:09 PM

Well... car is back with no-start again.

Pulled the upper timing belt cover to make sure the belt is tight and it appears good. It recently got a new battery&alternator so I checked connections first.
"Started and ran about 3 minutes then died." was all the information I got. It smells of fuel after cranking so I know that's not the problem. Plugs are not wet so it's not flooding. I held the pedal to the floor in case these cars have "choke mode" and that didn't even sputter while cranking.
Pulled a spark plug and attempted to check for spark but I was out in the sun so it would be very hard to see from drivers seat.
Test of the coil came up with .6ohms which seemed a little low. Pickup was 359ohms which is out of range specified by Chiltons Online. It could use a cap/rotor which I will probably do no matter what, but until then I'm going to see if I can test the distributor a bit more. Possibly check timing as well just in case.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Poor ign spark can cause a host of issues.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:51 PM

I still need to check voltages when I get back to the car. I'm hoping it doesn't come to a distrbutor.
Is there a procedure for setting timing? I saw something about a jumper between Te1 and E1 that sets timing to 10* BTDC. Will this equal 0* base timing, or will it read as 10* advanced on the timing cover?