General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'97 4cyl auto shifts late

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Default '97 4cyl auto shifts late

Hi,
I have a 1997 4cyl camry with a cold air intake and some other minor mods. It has an automatic transmission. When I lay on the gas from a stop and say, push it all the way up to 80 or 90 it feels like it shifts "late" through some of the gears. As in, once I get up close to redline, I feel like I start losing alot of torque to the point where I almost sit there at the same rpm for a few seconds before it'll shift. It makes me wish it would shift a bit sooner so I could stay in the range where I have the power. It gets especially annoying when I go to pass somebody or race and I floor it, and the transmission shifts down, the rpm goes up close to redline and it seems like it sits there for the longest time before it gets to whatever rpm it shifts at. Is this normal of this year Camry, is my transmission going screwy, or do I just need to tweak it? Is there any easy way to tweak when an auto tranny shifts?

Marshall

Old 08-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: '97 4cyl auto shifts late

i think it might be common. I have the same problem with my 1998 and i just had my transmission diagnosed and all the shift selonoids changed and it still does it.