General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97' Camry CEL - 0171; 0125; 1133; 1135

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Default 97' Camry CEL - 0171; 0125; 1133; 1135

Hi All,
Looking for some desperate help. I have a 97 camry(California Emissions)with 150K miles on it. And I am trying to determine if it is really worth fixing it.

I had these three codes (P0171; P1133:P1135) for the last 4 months. Googling around, seems like the most common offender for these codes could be the air fuel sensor before the catalytic converter. Checked with Toyota for the price (Around 225$ for the part and a local mechanic would do it for 50$ labor)

Two weeks back, I thought of doing a 30K servicing(as i was reaching 150K). Might have been a poor judgement on my part. The mechanic shop called me for all these codes and gave me an estimate which ran into 1000s. I did notopt for the fix. The issue after this visit has been. One, I am getting this new code - P0125. Also, for whatever reasons, the mileage has gone down drastically. I used to have 25mpg and now all of a sudden it has gone down to 20mpg.

Any help in resolving this mystery and recommendations for the same would be highly appreciated.

Also, I had new tires on and during the alignment they noticed that there is a crack on the adjusting sleeve(4 inch piece between the nuts) on the left rear tie rod. Do you know if i need to replace the entire tie rod or just this sleeve. Any help is appreciated.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 97' Camry CEL - 0171; 0125; 1133; 1135

This reqads like an A/F sensor issue. If this is a 4 cylinder guessing Bank 1, Sensor 1.

The P0171 and P0125 could be caused by sensor failure.

P1133 and P1135 relate to the actually failed sensor.

Suggest getting the sensor replaced.

A bad sensor can cause the MPG to drop like this.

As to the sleeve, which rod is the sleeve on. The ones going from the center of the car out to the tire or the shorter rod going to the front of the tire.

In both cases you need to get a new rod or pickup one off a scrap car and swap the sleeve. Cars between 96 and 2001 should use the same parts. Maybe a sleeve from a 92-95 might work.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Default 97 Camry 2.2 p1133 code info to share

***sorry in advance for multiple replies - my Firefox browser kept crashing as I was pasting info in...very frustrating.***

just want to share what I've found hunting around online that may help here. Amazed at how fragmented the information is about this issue. I'm sole owner of a 1997 Camry LE 2.2 with about 122k on it.

CEL has been coming on and going off over the years but recently much more frequently (usually it stays on). Need to get it to pass emissions which it failed. ODB reported several codes; fuel additive eliminated all but one: p1133.

Historical note: via dealer services/mechanics I've changed the oxygen sensor in my car at least 3 times to date (1/6/2012), which did make the light go off, but the older the car gets, the sooner the light comes right back on. Can't possibly believe it's the sensor yet again.

Here are the possible causes I found for this code online:

• The computer code P1133 is for a heater circuit malfunction for the oxygen sensor. Solution: change the oxygen sensor. (I don't think so).
  • P1133 Air/Fuel Sensor Circuit Response. (Bank 1 Sensor 1). p1133 is strictly for a air fuel sensor. That means it has ca emissions. If this vehicle says ca emission you will need an air fuel sensor instead of an oxygen sensor. There is a bulletin on the new part number you can find it here. That is the most common failure for this code. The front air fuel sensor. This is a common problem here in California, a ton of people will put an oxygen sensor in for the air fuel sensor and this is the result. Of course the wiring could have also been the culprit but very uncommon. (This could be it; don't remember a mechanic ever mentioning this to me in the past.)
    • Before changing out the sensor, pull the ECU fuse for one minute and clear the code. If the code doesn't come back, then you are fine. If it does, check your fuel pressure (filter changed lately?), air intake, and make sure the egr pipe is clean. Also check your A/F heater resistence. A Haynes manual comes in handy. The sensor won't work if the coolant temperature is low - if your coolant sensor working?
    • The 999 TSB applies to 97-99 Camry 4 cylinder with California emissions and code 1133. The fix was an improved A/F sensor.

The ECM replacement was for cars manufactured after August 31, 1999 again on 4 cylinder California emissions cars.

One issue has been with using Bosch replacement sensors in Camry. In some cases they can cause the CEL light to return. Recommend Denso or Toyota OEM.
    • Denso A/F Sensor: here's a quick look at it from Advance Auto Parts (my current fav parts store). $115 not cheap for a part.
Name:  nHTfl.png
Views: 35
Size:  46.5 KB

Last edited by PSmith; 01-06-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: mozilla crashing repeatedly
Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Default 97 Camry 2.2 p1133 code info to share (continued)

TSB's related:

There is a TSB for this code. Here it is.

ENGINE
EG004-01
April 20, 2001
Title:
M.I.L. "ON" P1133
Models:
'97 - '99 Camry and '99 Solara
Introduction
Under certain driving conditions, some 1997 - 1999 5S-FE California emission specification Camrys and 1999 5S-FE California emission specification Solaras may exhibit a M.I.L. "ON" with DTC P1133 (Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Slow Response Malfunction). An improved Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor was developed to correct this condition (See TSB EG006-99).
In some rare cases, P1133 may still set after the improved A/F sensor is installed. The Engine Control Module (ECM) logic has been modified to correct this condition.
Applicable Vehicles^ 1997 - 1999 model year Camrys with 5S-FE California emission specification.

^ 1999 model year Solaras with 5S-FE California emission specification.

Parts Information

Warranty Information
Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Federal Emissions Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.
* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.
Repair Procedure
1. Should a M.I.L. "ON" condition with P1133 be encountered, perform diagnostic procedures as described in the Repair Manual.

2. If the problem source cannot be identified after checking all affected areas according to the Repair Manual, the cause may be an A/F Sensor or ECM logic malfunction. In this case, follow the procedure in the flowchart shown to determine which part needs to be replaced.
Replace the ECM only if the A/F Sensor in the vehicle was produced after August 31, 1999.
...and another...

Here is a similar one.

ENGINE
EG009-99
Title:
M.I.L. "ON" DTC P1133
Models:
'97- '99 Camry and '99 Solara: 55-FE CA Spec.
October 1, 1999
Introduction
Under certain driving conditions, some 55-FE equipped 1997-1999 Camry and 1999 Solara California emission specification vehicles may exhibit a M.I.L. "ON" DTC P1133. An improved Air Fuel Ratio Sensor has been developed to correct this condition.
Applicable Vehicles
1997 - 1999 Camry & 1999 Solara (55-FE) with California emission specification.

Production Change Information
Parts Information
PREVIOUS PART NUMBER CURRENT PART NUMBER PART NAME

89467-33010 89467-33011 Sensor, Air Fuel

Repair Procedure
^ Should a M.I.L. "ON" condition with DTC P1133 be encountered, perform diagnostic procedures as described in the Repair Manual.

^ It the problem source cannot be identified after checking all affected areas according to the Repair Manual, the cause may be an Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor malfunction. In this case, replace the Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor with the updated part.

^ If the Exhaust Manifold threads are damaged by removal of the sensor, they can be repaired by the proper use of a M18 x 1.5 tap.

Warranty Information
Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Basic Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date. Coverage is extended to 36 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, in the states of California and Massachusetts due to state emissions warranty legislation.
NOTE :Please enter the DTC in the condition/Cause/Remedy section when applying for warranty reimbursement

Old 01-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Default and more...

• How-to replace the sensor
    • You don't need to pull anything out of the car. Slide the drivers seat all the way forward and look under it the will be a slotted black plastic air vent the connector for the rear O2 sensor is just below that and is snap to the sheet metal. If you release the lock tab to the connector the pigtail will come out though the hole in the body. Then fish the new pig tail in through the hole and reconnect it. If the clip that holds it to the sheet metal breaks don't worry about it. The carpet will keep it from rattling.

FINAL VERDICT
I'm bringing it to the shop. Seems to me there are lots of variables that need to be checked. I'll post back any useful follow up info in a couple weeks after payday.

Last edited by PSmith; 01-06-2012 at 10:22 AM.