General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Camry LE - Missing Badly At Stop Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

You can only clean so far down the throttle openning. Your not going to get any debris into the injectors by cleaning the throttle body.

There is typically a square hole at the bottom of the throttle barrel right before the throttle plate. This is the intake air for the IAC valve. Spray here.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 AM

Okay, got that - thanks again. I actually took the IAC off the throttle body and worked on it on my bench. I think I got it as clean as possible - short of just replacing it.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:02 PM

Okay, got that - thanks again. I actually took the IAC off the throttle body and worked on it on my bench. I think I got it as clean as possible - short of just replacing it.
hmm, would you mind update us??? I seemly have similar problem/

Old 05-06-2011, 10:51 AM

Since taking off the IAC and cleaning it up I have only added Sea Foam to my fuel. Trouble seems like it is 95% cleared up, but still noticeable on occassion when stopped and in gear. I believe the IAC was the problem and if problem persists, next time I take it off I will just replace it. From what I understand though the part is over $200 so that is why I tried to clean it up first.

I did a google search for cleaning the IAC as mentioned above and found a link to a site with lots of photos and helped me to work through it. One thing the photos did not show though was that to access the IAC you need to first remove the throttle body - then it's pretty easy to take to the bench and clean up. In the photos, the guys suggests to be careful and use an angle screwdriver to remove the screws to pull the IAC off the throttle body - I tried as he suggested and ended up stripping the first screw I tried - with great effort to avoid that. After doing that I used my small cordless impact driver and the rest backed right out with no trouble at all. All in all it only took me maybe an hour or hour and a half to do this and I only swore once when I stripped the screw head out.