General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 camry smells like gas sometimes and bad mpgs

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Default 97 camry smells like gas sometimes and bad mpgs

Here is some background info on the car. I bought it used with 185k just a little while ago, now has 188k. I have since put in a new radiator and thermostat w/ seal, NGK double prong spark plugs, NGK spark plug wires, both ignition coils replaced, new valve cover gaskets, new blinker bulbs, new front brakes with hardware. I know my suspension is blown still, tires need to be replaced soon, and this gas smell w/ bad mpgs problem..

When I replaced the ignition coils it seemed like the gas smell was around there maybe carcoal canister, or fuel filter, or I've read the TVV or EGR valve has gone bad in these before.. I also smell the gas just sitting in the car with it off and the windows down.

I've also looked at the return hose to the gas tank and it seems intact and not leaking, I don't see any signs of a puddle of fuel under my car. But I've also read someone's gas tank leaked on the seam (that would suck because $$$) and I've read a valve under the passenger seat can leak..

I am pretty good with cars so if I just knew what it was I'm sure I could replace it.. Just diagnosing it is hard sometimes.. Any ideas?

Thanks