General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Camry DOOR LOCK PROBLEMS......

Old 04-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Default 98 Camry DOOR LOCK PROBLEMS......

I have a 1998 camry and the driver door lock will lock but will not unlock (from the inside).
Will unlock with the key from outside..
Not sure if its the acuator or the actual electronic lock or how to test it...
I have recently replaced the driver door handle not sure if related..
also installed an automatic starter (keyless entry) about 5 years ago, not sure if a relay from that would cause it..

Thanks guys...Peace[/align]

Old 04-10-2007, 04:45 AM
Default RE: 98 Camry DOOR LOCK PROBLEMS......

will it unlock and lock from the passenger insidedoor control?

Old 04-10-2007, 01:53 PM

No it will not unlock from the passenger side

Old 04-11-2007, 07:46 PM

If I have the key in the ignition and try to lock the door then it will unlock the all the locks including drivers side. I AM LOST

Old 04-11-2007, 07:47 PM

If I have the key in the ignition and try to lock the door then it will unlock the all the locks including drivers side. I AM LOST

Old 04-11-2007, 08:44 PM

Let me get this straight. If you try to unlock all the doors with the power lock switch it will unlock all but the drivers door? Then when you have the key in the ignition and hit the power lock switch to lock all the doors the drivers door will go to lock then unlock as it should normally? If both of these are true then it rules out the possiblity of the actuator or the switch or the wiring for that matter. The only thing left would be the bcm or body control module. This is the computer that controls things like door locks, lights, wipers, etc. You'd need to take it somewhere where a scanner can be plugged in and you could go from there.

If your drivers door will not unlock except for manually by you pushing the actual lock by the handle or with the key then its most likely the actuator or a wiring problem such as the wiring as it travels from the door to inside the car through that rubber hose (a common point of failure).

Old 04-12-2007, 02:27 PM

no, if I try to unlock from the inside (driver side)it willNOT unlock any of the doors..
And yes if I have the key in the ignition (on) all the locks will unlock automatically..

Old 04-12-2007, 03:58 PM

Well then it sounds like you may have a bad master window/door lock switch or the wiring to that switch. I've personaly never diagnosed a bad switch for the door locks being inopp. but when the master switch window circuit fails for lets say the r/r window. the r/r window switch will not be able to make the window work either because the power passes through the master switch and to the other doors. It more than likely works the same way for the door locks (someon confirm or correct me if I'm wrong) and that would certainly explain neither of the power door lock switches working.

When you try to unlock the doors from the passenger side switch it doesn't unlock either door right? If thats the case I would definately test the power lock circuit going to and from the drivers master switch and that will narrow it down to the switch (if your getting power and ground to the switch) or the switch itself (if your getting power into but not out of the switch when you operate it). Good luck with it ad don't forget to repost when you got it fixed.

when you try to lock the doors with the key in the ignition the BCM probably sends power directly (not through the switch) to all of the actuators to unlock the doors which would explain them unlocking that way and only that way.