General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

98 camry reverse lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Default 98 camry reverse lights not working

my reverse lights are not working either. I used a test light and have powerat both wires coming into the bulb even when not in reverse. Any ideas on where I should start I am assuming there should not be power at both terminals without the car in reverse. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I checked the fuse #22 it was fine and both bulbs are fine.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Default RE: 98 camry reverse lights not working

I'm assumingthe reverse lights are always on? Manual or auto trans?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:09 PM

actually they won,t go on. sounds weird I know but bulb filament is intact. Auto transmission. going to try and change the bulbs and see but am I correct in assuming there should not be power until car is put in reverse?

Old 01-22-2008, 05:52 AM

I believe that power always on is correct. If not then you would havelightsalways on now as a circuit will have been completed. The reverse switch should ground the circuit and that actuates the lights. You should check out your park/neutral position switch. That's where the reverse light switch is. It mayjust need adjustment or you have a broekn wire. Try putting the shift lever in R then wiggling it while someone looks in the rear for the reverse lights to come on.

Edit: I had a chance to look at my electrical manual. Power goes through the park/neutral switch and the bulbs are grounded to the chassis in the rear, at least on my 95.Only way it seems for power to be always on is if park/neutral switch is faulty. The fact that you always have power to bulb but lights won't work would be bad ground or wrong/bad bulb. I think you need to solve the bulb not on first, then tackle the park/neutral switch.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:31 PM

I replaced the bulbs still nothing. Where is the reverse parking switch located? I am stumped. Any help greatly appreciated.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Check the wiring in the trunk where it jumps from the chassis to the trunk lid, often it becomes damaged in this area.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:15 PM

it might not be your lights at all. On my 94, the lights don't come on when i go into reverse because the sensor doesn't realize the cars in reverse. When you Put it in reverse, does the R on your dash light up? I have to wiggle the shifter to get that light to come on, and then the reverse lights come on.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:39 PM

I also have this problem. Occasionally the R light on the dash will come on when the shifter (automatic) is wiggled. When the R is on, then the reverse lights come on.

Also don't have D or N lighting up. Though sometimes I have N come on at the same sort of time as the R (ie, when the R is in a working mood, then the N generally is too)

How do I get to the shift sensor... ? Is it difficult and should I get a haynes manual so that I can do the work?

Is it a job for a handy guy, or a garage?

Dave