General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Camry xle

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Default 99 Camry xle

I purchased my 99 Camry, and within a month the ignition went out and the computer module. Its at the dealership and they were charging a ridiculous amount for the new computer. I found this one, is the correct one?

More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS EM11442

And after that is fixed I had a engine code pop up for a park/neutral switch. How much will that run too fix and what does it involve? Can I fix it myself? All the orange lights glow on the dash, sometimes they go off.

I apparently bought a camry with a bunch of problems and just need to get them fixed and out of the way but this is my first car and I would like to get it done as cheap as possible.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

The main computer for the engine/trans? Find the computer and note the part number on the case. Then find an exact part number match. Suggest Ebay for the cheapest prices on used units plus do an internet search on the part number.

Computers are year, model, transmission, engine and emissions type (federal or California) specific. There may be a sticker in the engine compartment stating emissions type (also look under bottom of hood).

Without knowing the above info have no idea if the computer posted is the correct one for your car.

The glowing lights may be related to the computer problem.

The park/neutral switch is located on the transmission. Find the gear selector shift cable going to the trans. The switch is located behind the lever bar the cable connects to. You will need to remove the lever then the switch something you should be able to yourself.

Some owners have taking the switch apart and cleaned the electrical contacts with spray contact cleaner.

Also make sure there are no wiring problems.

The switch looks like the part in the photo below:

More Information for AIRTEX 1S5890

Old 05-16-2013, 01:47 PM

Apparently this is the computer I need to get my car running:

Engine Control Module OE # 89661-0W091 With Theft
Deterrent , that 0W091 is key, that the Japan made with Theft....

But I cant find one around here in the Houston area. I have found a 0W090 but the dealership said they aren't exchangeable. And I'm not trying to pay $1000 dollars for a computer when I just bought the car.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:19 PM

Now someone is telling me that the number the dealership is giving me most likely isn't correct, and if I look at the part myself he guarantees that itll be different. So I am having it towed home.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Best to look at the actual computer in the car then find the same part number.