General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99' radiator exploded during tranny flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Default 99' radiator exploded during tranny flush

Took my car to Sears Auto Center for a little TLC on my 99 Camry. New tires, aligment, ball joints, tranny flush and oil change. Come home and they call me up saying my radiator exploded all over their tech and now I need to pay for a new radiator and install. $300+ They said that they also could stop work and I could come pick it up. On a freakin tow truck?! They said toyota radiators have a weak spot and that it was a coincidence. They said it would've happened anywhere and they're glad their tech is ok. So am I but I had the radiator replaced 1 1/2 ago. What is the likelihood that this was a coincidence? Maybe they put too much pressure on my radiator or something? They said it was running and they were in the process of doing the tranny flush when it happened. Maybe it was bound to happen. IDK.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

I suggest you get more facts. As is, I am just speculating and guessing in my reply.

What exploded?

The radiator has two coolers. The top large finned radiator is for the engine. Inside this radiators lower tank at the bottom there is a smaller cooler for the trans fluid. This cooler uses the engine coolant to cool the trans fluid.

What part exploded, the engine radiator finned part, or the trans oil cooler part inside the lower tank?

When the radiator was replaced, what shop did the work? If a Toyota dealer then Toyota parts would have been used. If a third party shop, then most likely aftermarket parts. The issue is IF Toyota radiators have a weak spot, was the replacement a real Toyota radiator, if not how can someone make this statement about this radiator.

Ask Sears what the weak spot is.

The upper tanks on most radiators (even other makes of cars) are now typically made of plastic. This plastic can age and suffer effects of heat, etc. The result is the tank starts to form small cracks that leak engine coolant. These cracks can grow larger fast and result in rapid coolant loss. The process takes years to happen, say 10 years. Again this is engine coolant, not trans fluid.

However if the radiator was replaced a few years ago, it is way to soon to have these cracks form.

I suggest you call a few transmission places, real ones not the quick lube shops and tackfully ask if during a profession trans flush on this car is there a danger of radiator explosion. Don't state Sears blew up yours, just that you heard it could happen, thinking about getting flush, what are the risks, etc, etc.

If a Toyota radiator was used, talk to the dealer about this. Typically the parts person knows a lot and is more candid then the folks on the floor who would be thinking about liability issues.

Barring something was wrong with the radiator (who knows, but never heard of this type of explosion), guessing an output line from the trans coolant line could have plugged up or been blocked off some how during the flush process. This would have built up pressure in the cooler and cooler blow up could have resulted.

Sometimes the mechanic will use compressed air to blow out the trans fluid from the cooler. I don't know the pressure rating of the trans cooler, but if too high of air pressure was used it could blow up the cooler.

Again I don't know the facts thus just my opinions.

I have a very low opinion of these types of chain store shops, I would not put it past them to blame you and your radiator to cover something they did.

The shop is supposed to have professional mechanics. If there was a known weak spot with these radiators then it would behoove them to take extra precautions not to let the pressure get too high AND to take steps to protect their employees from injury if something did go wrong.

Might also ask at the Toyotanation website. You should get a lot more responses, many of the members are professional mechanics.

In conclusion, something seems fishy here but just my opinion.

Check it out and get all the facts. Might be legit or might be passing the buck to you.

Last edited by toyomoho; 12-29-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:34 PM

to much pressure used and it is their fault ..... make them pay for it and if they won't sue them is what I would do. their response to you is total BS and fabrication....make them pay or sue, nothing less is fair to you. let us know the outcome and stay away from sears.