General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALL flashers quit working today: turn signals AND 4-ways!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Default ALL flashers quit working today: turn signals AND 4-ways!

I checked what I thought were the flashers, on the upper portion of the fuse block. There are so many round things that it's hard to tell which might be the actual flasher. But there are two round ones with 4-prong plugs, and I switched plugs for them but nothing happened. Can anyone tell me the EXACT flasher on a 91 Camry? If only my turn signals had quit, or only the hazards, this might have been a simple fix. But they both stopped working! Normally, on most cars, when the flasher goes out you can still just flip the handle up and down manually to have blinkers. Not on my car! NOTHING works!!! Neither green arrow on the dash, and I can't manually activate my blinkers. No Hazard flashers work either. ALL fuses are good.

Could this be a circuit breaker issue? If so, any idea of EXACTLY which one of the many that it might be? Can you post a picture of it? If you can show me a picture to help figure out exactly which one is the actual flasher AND/OR circuit breaker, I would be so happy!

Hey, the law says you need turn signals. And I need to drive my car! So please, if anyone can help me solve the issue as to why BOTH my hazards AND turn signals both stopped working at the same time, I would appreciate it so much!!!

Thank you!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Turn signal flasher is generally in the drivers side kick panel. The top relay. Has 3 prongs.

The 4 prong units may be the Starter and Main Power relay.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Thumbs up Thanks!

So do you think this flasher would control both the turn signals AND the hazards? And normally, when a flasher goes out, the driver simply needs to manually move the lever up and down to flash the turn signals. In my case, the bulbs in the dash or outside the car don't even light up. It's as if the entire circuit somehow failed.

I'll look for that 3 prong one you mentioned. And since they aren't exactly cheap (I looked them up on CSK & AutoZone sites) I'll run to the wrecking yard and grab several.

Thanks again! I need to figure this out! I'm not really into the hand signal thing.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, the flasher controls both turn and emergency lights. The emergency switch reroutes the wiring to run all lights through the flasher circuit.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Thumbs up Thanks again, Joey!

I appreciate your assistance and knowledge! This is my first Camry, so it's still a little new to me. Had it ended up being a Ford or Chevy I would have had it figured out in minutes. But it's my first Toyota, so I'm really glad I found this forum full of folks like you with the knowledge and wisdom and expertise that I need to seek out when something stops working (like my automatic seat belts keep doing, but different subject I'll check out later).

I'll let you know what I find out! Thanks again!

Shawn

Old 03-23-2010, 08:31 PM

GOT IT FIGURED OUT!!! It was simple: the plug behind my flasher button had come unplugged for some reason! It snapped and locked back in, but I can't figure out how it even came out. Someone must have had the dash opened up in the past. So anyway, everything is flashing again! Thanks again for all your help, my friends!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Great!