General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any k&n users here?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Default any k&n users here?

i noticed that when im using k&n filter i have engine light on.
how about you guys?

Old 07-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: any k&n users here?

i dont.
does it magically turn off when u use the regular air filter?
Are you sure all the hoses and sensors are connected properly and that the filter was properly oiled etc?
You are using the OEM setup and just a drop in K&N right?

Old 07-12-2007, 10:41 PM

yup im using the drop in k&n only
all my hoses are new and the filter is new thats why i didnt oil it anymore.
i put it in right after i opened the box

Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

did it look over oiled?

there have been reports of over oiled K&N filters clogging the MAF (mass airflow sensor) which will cause the CEL. But u need to get a CEL code reader and get the code to figure out exactly what the computer says is wrong. That helps pinpoint what exactly is going wrong.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:29 AM

it dont look like over oiled. incase its over oil what can i do?
mine is a 4cylinder
and i think a 4cylinder dont have a MAF sensor...they have MAP(manifold absolute pressure)sensor only
the codes im having before are p0171 and p1133.
but after i put back my oem filter. the code didnt come back so far....

Old 07-13-2007, 04:41 AM

I'm using K&N.. and i don't get the CEL at all. I actually read about the over oiled problems.. so i took mines out of the plastic bag and left it tilted against the wall for about 2 hours. not a drop came out sooo i just put it in. good luck w/yours!

Old 07-13-2007, 06:40 AM

Just more reasons why K&N's are a waste of money. No HP gain, worse filtration, oil contamination on intake, CEL light trips.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

did you reset your ecu when you first put in the filter?

Pedro - I dont think any of us Dynoed our camry's after we put in our filters so i'd like you to support your claim of no HP gain.
As for your other claims i havent seen any problems as a result of the K&N being installed.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: nodrogkam
Pedro - I dont think any of us Dynoed our camry's after we put in our filters so i'd like you to support your claim of no HP gain
Gee, you make claims without testing, then expect me to prove my claim. OK, go to the K&N web site, input your vehicle with a K&N drop-in and get back to me on the HP gain they give you.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

woah woah woah...i made no claims in my posts. i have not advertised for K&N and i didnt say they're products were the bomb etc. I only gave one opinion in which i stated that K&N has not caused any problems for me. In fact i did note that others have experienced problems, but not everyone. But you hated on K&N without stating you had any personal experience with using their products and did not provide any support for your statments, alerting me to take what you had said with many grains of salt...

haha i'm not looking to start a debate, we're all friends but a long time ago i was told to put my foot where my mouth was if i had no supporting evidence.

the website doesnt show hp figures for all cars.
I will note that in comparison to paper filters it is more responsive to throttle imputs, but just like paper filters, performance will decrease, just not as much. At least i gota free cleaning kit with mine!

Quick Reply: any k&n users here?