General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Assuring I Get A New Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 01:18 PM
Default Assuring I Get A New Bumper

This is kind of a general auto repair question, not limited to Toyota or its affiliates.

I'm getting estimates to have a damaged bumper replaced with a new one, via independent body shops.

Some shops have given me two estimates, one to fix the other to replace it.

Two have told me up front that it is too far gone to repair it, yet they then proceed to squat down, place their hand underneath it to see if the dent can be pushed out from the inside!

I gave the last guy a look when he did that.

As he was writing up the estimate, he stated that he will definitely replace it and volunteered to show me mine if I wanted to see it.

A great idea if he shows me mine after the new one is installed.

Do they typically swap out the old for a new one, or does the old one sit in the shop until someone picks them up for recycling or refurbishment.

I jokingly said I will go to shops and do that to which he replied they only get about 5 bucks for each one.

Should/can I demand to see by bumper after the new one is installed?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Its not a real bumper, but a cover over the bumper.

Bumper covers are low cost.

The shop needs to consider if buying a new cover, painting it and installing it is easier/cheaper then repairing the cover on the car. Obtaining a new bumper may also require the car be in the shop for a longer period of time to wait for the part.

As a general question have had the same bumper cover repaired twice but the third hit required replacing. This was the same shop which does excellent work.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:52 PM

Thanks for your reply Joey.

I Googled 2004 Camry XLE rear bumper cover and got these:

2004 Camry xle rear Bumper cover - Bing images

I also Googled 2004 Camry rear bumper which retrieved pretty much the same results:

2004 Camry xle rear Bumper - Bing images

Were any of the above the bumper covers you were referring to?

Is the actual bumper you got replaced on your third repair made out of metal?

My only concern is that they charge me for a new item, yet only repair and Bondo my old one.

I was hoping to see my old one after the new one was installed, but I didn't know if they have to trade my old one out before they purchase a new one, thus making it impossible to make sure I actually got a different one.

Thanks for your time on what I feel is sort of a novice thread.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, the cover on the link goes over the real metal bumper.

What exactly did the bill state?

Were you charged for a new bumper, then billed for time and cost to repair the old one?

A new bumper will need to be painted to the color of your car. The new bumper comes primed.

If you want to get down to it. Check your states repair laws for cars. In many states the repairs shop is required to give you the old parts if you ask for them. They are your property after all.

Doubt if there is much market for used repaired bumper covers as the price of a new one is so low. There is a market for used bumpers if in good condition and better still if the same color as the damaged one.

However given time is money a shop is not going to take days running down a used bumper cover. However a car owner might do this if doing the repair themselves.

The bumper cover was repaired, not the metal one under the cover. All covers were plastic.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:16 PM

I will check the estimates when I get home later, as well as get some new ones.

I haven't had it repaired as of yet, but was getting estimates around $1000-$1100.

One shop was just shy of $900 (the one that volunteered so show me my old part[s]) and the lowest bid out of two others.

He also volunteered (which I thought was odd) that he uses the same high quality paint as other shops and it comes with a lifetime warranty as long as there is no damage to any of the bumper!

I wasn't sure if when they purchased a new one, they had to trade out my old one, but you clarified that for me, which was my main concern.

Thanks JP