General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Back from body shop

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 05:41 PM
Default Back from body shop

My son used my Toyota 2007 Camry and had a fender bender on Christmas Eve. Long story short, insurance company didn't total it (was close) but decided to fix it. Apparently they used a "recycled" rear quarter panel to fix it. Supposedly had to rework it a few times too make it fit. I was supposed to get it back on 1/24 and got the call today that it was finally ready.

What do I need to look for when picking it up? I just don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling here.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

A used quarter panel?

The panel is not bolted on but spot welded as part of the chassis. The damaged part needs to be cut out then a replacement welded in. Then the weld ground down, etc to blend the area. Toyota may not offer the part, thus a used one.

If you look at the car body in very good light (bright sunlight is great) at an angle, The reflected light will show any imperfections as to where the replacement section was fitted. It takes a little practice but any imperfections well become obvious.

Cutting and welding used to be common, but these days more cars are just totaled as too expensive to fix.

A good shop can do wonders.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the info. They did need to weld it. I will look at all the angles.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:00 AM

Everything looked okay but the trunk didn't open and close properly so they are keeping it another day to make the adjustments. Person there said the car is now from 3 cars. It is the Frankenstein car. The insurance company should have totalled it.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Glad things turned out OK.

Considering a car totaled is a complicated process. In addition to the insurance companies procedures, your state can have a say in the matter.