General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad CV Joints..Good Boots?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Default Bad CV Joints..Good Boots?

Hi I am new to the whole Camry thing and need a little advise. My grandmother called me over to look at her 2004 Camry LE with 45,000 miles on it.

It is making a clicking noise from the front left tire. My first though was a bad CV joint but all of the Boot are immaculate no cracking or any other sign of fluid loss. As a matter of fact I've never seen an undercarriage so clean.

Anyone have any ideas? I suppose the CV could have gone bad without fluid loss but it seems unlikely.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

It is possible but typically failures start happening around 120K, NOT 45K. This would be very unusual.

If possible take the car for a test drive. Make 90 degree left and right turns, a few 180's in each direction, rapidly accelerate. A worn CV joint will typically make a popping or clicking noise during one or more of these driving actions. And on a consistent basis.

The bad CV joint is typically on the opposite side of the direction of turn.

Might also check the brake system, this can make noise. Check the rotor for cracking, pads, all the hardware.

Also check for noise at the lower U-joint on the steering wheel shaft. This can make a click, pop noise when turning the steering wheel.