General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Camry CV joints - help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:39 AM
Default 97 Camry CV joints - help!

Hi there,

Im trying to replace the outer drivers side CV joint on my dads 97 camry. Its the 3.0 V6 model (new zealand model).

The trouble is I have the outer splined shaft out of the hub, no problems...but the outer CV joint wont come off the shaft...and the other side of the shaft wont come out of the transmission. What is the trick with the camry CV joints? Is there some sort of circlip on each end...does it just require brute force?

I've read other posts saying 'just buy a rebuilt half shaft' but I havnt seen them for sale down here in New Zealand so I may have to replace just the outer joint.

Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks so much!!!

Mike

Old 02-27-2008, 06:45 AM
Default RE: 97 Camry CV joints - help!

ORIGINAL: tiger_woods_fan
...but the outer CV joint wont come off the shaft...
There will be a clip that is vary hard to find holding this together. You need to find the clip.

...and the other side of the shaft wont come out of the transmission.
You need to use a pry. Some have used the pry end of the jack handle from underneath. I had to use a 3 foot pry from above and just use brute force. You'll need to find a good fulcrum point. Replace the c-clip on re-assemble and make sure it is facing open end down. Don't they have manuals in NZ?

Old 02-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 97 Camry CV joints - help!

Normally the outer CV joint is not removable from the shaft. As Pedro states the axle can be a pain to remove from the trans. The inner joint body may have a slot in it, if so place the end of the bar here. Then attempt to pop the axle out with a sharp, quick pry action.

Installing the new axle may also take a few attempts due to the clip. Make sure the axle is installed into the diff housing the ram it home quick and firm. If the axle does not lock in, repeat the process. Be careful not to damage the diff housing seal by accurately locating the axle before shoving it in.