General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Camry 1998 v6 reverse problem and going forward when gear was in "n"

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 04:45 AM
Default Camry 1998 v6 reverse problem and going forward when gear was in "n"

I have problem with my Camry 1998 V6 model. I started the car this morning, I did a reverse and start driving with no problem. But i was when i took my child to school for 2 to 3 minute drive at a normal speed. It was when i droped the child at school i try to make a reverse. the car just went forward instate of backward. I try again it keep doing same thing. Then letter when i get back home. I also realised that, the is also moving forward when gear selection is in "N" position. and the reverse (R) is also not going backward and forward again. I took it to machanic and he observed the car can drived normally accept for reverse and N problem. Which he suggested to change the reverse disk in the gearbox.
So i suspended the work pending to hear from you.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

What gear indicator are you using to select the gear? The gear indicator lights on the dash or the letters by the gear shift lever?

Try using the letters by the gear selector.

Find an open area. With engine running and in Park, move one gear selection to Reverse. Make sure you feel the gear shift click into this gear. Watch the gear indicator on the dash and confirm if R is now illuminated. Determine if the trans really is in reverse.

Move through the rest of the gears confirming as above the illuminated gear indicator lamp is the same as the letter next to the gear shifter and that the trans is actually in the gear selected.

Make sure the level stops at each gear selected as opposed to being free to move with little effort as say the gas pedal is free to move.

The gear shift lever inside the car is connected to the a lever on the trans by a push/pull cable. If you look at the side of the trans facing the radiator you will see the cable and where it connects to the lever on the trans.

Have someone shift the gear lever in the car as you watch the lever on the trans. Make sure the lever moves in unison with the gear lever in the gear. Sometimes the cable can fail.

Behind the shift lever on the trans is a rotating switch. The switch moves with the shift lever and selects the gear indicator light on the dash. I might be possible the switch is loose or has other issues and not longer moving in sync with the lever causing the light to indicator the wrong gear selected.

Not sure about what changing the reverse disk means.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:04 PM

The gear indicator lights on the dash board are P R N D 2 L and the same thing is in the gear shift lever as
P R N D 2 L and all light are indicated properly when move to the selected position. And the cable also comfirmed was in the right order. the ATF is also toped to the desired level. what can i do next. the situation is really boring.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

It is possible for the reverse gear to no longer work. The reverse clutch pack or brake may no longer work. The clutch pack would contain disks.

The car could move forward but not very fast.

Are you stating you drive the car forward when in reverse at 5km/h, 10km/h, etc?

Old 05-11-2021, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by umaree67
I have problem with my Camry 1998 V6 model. I started the car this morning, I did a reverse and start driving with no problem. But i was when i took my child to school for 2 to 3 minute drive at a normal speed. It was when i droped the child at school i try to make a reverse. the car just went forward instate of backward. I try again it keep doing same thing. Then letter when i get back home. I also realised that, the is also moving forward when gear selection is in "N" position. and the reverse (R) is also not going backward and forward again. I took it to machanic and he observed the car can drived normally accept for reverse and N problem. Which he suggested to change the reverse disk in the gearbox.
So i suspended the work pending to hear from you.
I am having the same issue with my 1998 v6 auto transmission stuck in forward gear did you ever get an answer on how to repair? thank you

Old 05-11-2021, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Read the past posts in this thread to determine if the gear shifter is working correctly.