General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 03:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Camry got hit. Need a new bumper/light. How to do it? :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Default Camry got hit. Need a new bumper/light. How to do it? :(

Hey guys

I've been driving an old faithful 1999 camry for some time now.

Today, i was driving and someone turned into my lane about 20 feet ahead of me. I hit the brakes as hard as I could, but it had just rained, so i couldn't stop in time. I hit them on the back left side of their car, with the front right side of my camry. No airbags or anything went off, and the car still drives fine.

I'm attaching a picture of the damage. Just in case their insurance doesn't pull through, i would like to take care of the damage myself. I only have liability insurance, so there's a chance it may be a long drawn out process. I've had the damage inspected and they gave me a quote of $1800 to fix

I took a look, and it seems like it's just the bumper, and the turn signal on the right side. The headlight is working fine, but is pointed down somewhat, probably because it's bent.

I'm thinking i can just remove and replace the bumper and the turn signal. The fender is bent in slightly, but just with my hands I was able to bend it most of the way out, so i dont' think it will be too hard...

My question, is i see bumper covers on Ebay for 99 camrys going for $50.00... is that all i would need? Or would i need the whole bumper? I would think just the bumper cover, right?

What else? Any more suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails Camry got hit.  Need a new bumper/light. How to do it? :(-photo.jpg  
Old 11-15-2011, 08:15 PM

no, bumper is hidden inside. looking at the picture you will need new turn light, prolly mounting bracket, if it's beyond repairs with pliers and hammer, bumper cover, aka fascia, and prolly patch bumper skirt together, with some fasteners. as far as it is not hanging down and scraping on the road.
fender is prolly bolted on, if yes, take it off and have at it. much easier to work with off the car.
look around and try to find if you have Certifit somewhere close. best priced parts for this.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

The bumper cover goes over the crash energy absorber and its mounting plate. Once the cover is off you can inspect these two items for damage.

The head light is held in by the upper radiator support bracket which is sheet metal and extends across the front of the car. The side market light may also mount on this bracket. You will need to check this bracket for damage.

The frame extends out under the damaged area thus check this for damage.

Most likely if the car was only nipped on the side replacing the cover and bending out any upper support bracket damage and fender (as required) should do the job.

Note: The airbag system has a front impact sensor under each headlight. If the headlight is out you may be able to see it. If you are going to do any banging on the chassis in this area disconnect the battery and wait 90 seconds. Then disconnect and remove the sensor to prevent damaging it from impact. Once the repairs are complete reinstall and connect sensor, then reconnect battery.

If for some reason the battery is connected and the ign key is turned on with the sensor disconnected, the airbag system will do a self test and fail. The result is even when the sensor is reconnected the airbag light will still be on requiring the system to be reset. If you need to drive the car between working, reinstall the sensor but again only when the battery has been disconnected for 90 seconds.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the replies. I just submitted a post and it said i have to wait for moderator approval; i'm guessing because i added a link in the post.

Anyway, every site i look at the bumper cover seems to include everything. I'm not sure what the bumper skirt is or if i'd need it?

Old 11-15-2011, 08:26 PM

if i search on google for '1999 camry bumper cover', the fourth picture - that's what i need right?

Old 11-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

The link below shows the cover.

1997-1999 Toyota Camry Bumper Cover - Replacement 3676P - Front, Primered, Plastic, OE replacement

The cover is for show, the energy absorber system behind it is the actual bumper.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The link below shows the cover.

1997-1999 Toyota Camry Bumper Cover - Replacement 3676P - Front, Primered, Plastic, OE replacement

The cover is for show, the energy absorber system behind it is the actual bumper.
those are awesome Covers! I rarely see those covers now a days.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:53 PM

2 Toyotas we have now have bumper skirts - it's additional plastic molding piece that goes underneath the lowermost part of bumper cover and is attached to it with clips. works as air spoiler. it looked like yours has same. no worries then about it.

ok, big word is bumper cover VALANCE. not all cars have them. wife's SUV also has additional body pans that extend from valance towards almost mid engine. splash guard and air drag reduction.

just checked on my 07 Camry. also has belly pan to about mid engine. not sure if yours has it or not.

Last edited by ukrkoz; 11-15-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the advise guys.

I spent $68.00 this morning on a new after-market bumper cover and right turn signal, and spent about an hour and a half putting it all back together.

Didn't even have to hammer anything - just needed to pull with a vice grip on a few pieces, and it looks pretty good i think!

So despite being quoted $1800 and 3 days to fix, i'm out in under 3 hours (including driving to pick up the parts), and $68.00 including tax

Attached Thumbnails Camry got hit.  Need a new bumper/light. How to do it? :(-imag1057.jpg   Camry got hit.  Need a new bumper/light. How to do it? :(-imag1059.jpg  
Old 11-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Good job, looks great!