General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a good mechanic identify my engine trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 09:05 PM
Exclamation Can a good mechanic identify my engine trouble

Can an experienced mechanic tell me the issue with my 99 Camry by the video. Please see this youtube video of the engine knocking and power loss. What is wrong and how can I fix this? Below is the link for the video. Thank you

Old 10-18-2022, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Did these noise start up or did you just notice then?

Was the engine over heated or run out of oil?

For the most part these noises sound normal. The engine is known for injector noise. The valve train could be rattling a little.

Search internet for a video on 5SFE rod knock and compare to your engine. Search this site as there was a post on rod knock for this engine with video postings. This engine was used in Camry from 1994 to 2001.

Take a section of rubber hose for use as a stethoscope and check the following areas. Valve cover, crankshaft area along the block (area of the block in line with the crank pulley) and area below he crank. This engine has a rotating balance shaft system below the crankshaft.

Report back.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:33 AM

My son was driving it when this happened. He said it was losing power and making noise. Then suddenly died. I had it towed to my home and checked the oil and it was three quarts low, so yes, he pretty much ran it out of oil. It was also overheating.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Given the engine was very low on oil, overheated and quit my bet is the engine was damaged and as a result the noise. This noise is a common result of low oil and overheating.

Typically a rod bearing starts to fail and hence the rattle noise. The internet has video's on rod bearing noise for this engine model, a 5SFE. Find a few video's and compare sounds.

There is no easy fix. The engine needs to be rebuilt or replaced. If you can DIY a used engine is the best route as cheapest.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:52 AM

okay, thank you for the advice.

Old 10-22-2022, 07:47 PM

Well, let me ask you guys this. Will the transmissions transfer from the 1999 Toyota Camry 2.2L 5SFE (which has the bad engine) into a 2004 Toyota Camry 2.4L engine, (which has a bad transmission)? Both are automatic.

Old 10-22-2022, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

No.

The 1999 has a A140E. The 2004 has a U241E.

If looking for trans find a used one with some kind of warranty.

Toyota must of made hundreds of thousands of the engine model as in the 1999. One could find a used one fitting the cars generation of Camry year range. Then swap the basic engine and take any parts specific to the 1999 and put them on this engine. Or find a totaled car on Craigslist for an engine or trans.