General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cars dead HELP

Old 08-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Default cars dead HELP

ok so I have a 98 toyota camry LE 4cyl. The starter burned out and killed all power to the battery so the cars dead and I'm assuming it burnt the battery wires or fried the battery when it happened because I did see smoke. ....So I replaced the starter, along with the battery wire that goes from positive terminal to the starter. The car is still dead and nutting works. I didnt want to go out and buy a new battery until I was sure that was the problem, so I took it to autozone to have it tested. They tested it and said it was good. So I'm lost. One thing I do wanna mention is that I tried to jump the car when I plug in the jumper cables the starter begins to spin and makes a loud noise, at that point I jumped in the car and I had power but it wasnt starting, not even a noise. When I remove the cable the starter stops spinning and the car is dead again.. I checked all the fuses and they are fine. I looked over the wiring multiple times and I even tried with the old battery c#le. Same thing...if n e one can help??

Old 08-26-2011, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

The large battery cable runs directly from the battery to the starter. solenoid.

What did you jump? The battery, starter solenoid, etc?

The starter relay powers the starter solenoid coil. The starter relay has a 40 amp fusible link.

Also check AM2 and Starter fuses.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:12 PM

I tried to jump the battery, and the starter began to make noise and wind very loud but car wouldnt crank over because starter was running already....very wierd issue. If i remove the jumper cables the starter stops making noise and car is dead again. I'll double check the fuses again...im a noob with his stuff so i dont know where the solenoid coil is or starter relay.. i checked the fuses and they looked fine but i'll double check. thanks

Old 08-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

If the starter motor works without the ign key being turned to start, either the starter solenoid or the starter relay is stuck closed.

The starter solenoid bolts to the starter motor. The battery cable attaches to the solenoid. See link below:

More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS SS459

Behind the front plate having 3 screws (see photo in link above) are the solenoid electrical contacts. These can be replaced without taking the starter solenoid off.

To test for a starter relay problem, unplug the small dia wire that attaches to the solenoid at the black plastic connection on the solenoid. This will disconnect the starter relay.

If the starter motor continues to operate without the ign key being turned to start after the small wire is disconnected the issue is the starter solenoid.