General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Check Engine & Flashing "O/D Off" light

Old 09-14-2008, 05:45 AM
Default Check Engine & Flashing "O/D Off" light

My Check Engine light came on today and the Overdrive Off indicator is flashing. From what I have read about the O/D Off indicator, it means there is something wrong with my transmission. I'm going to be taking my car to a mechanic to get a quote... what I'd like to know are some of the things I should be familiar with. I'm not a car guru, and I'd like to have at least a little idea of some of the possible problems that could arise from this. I suspect it's not good. I have a toyota camry, 94', 240k miles on it, kept up very well. Any tips on possible problems? Information I should be familiar with before I take it in? Should I expect this to get costly? Thanks

Old 09-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Default RE: Check Engine & Flashing "O/D Off" light

Flashing O/D light means an electrical problem with the trans - usually solenoid not shifting or speed sensor. Does the trans operate ok? Does it shift through all gears, even OD? Could just be bad solenoid or broken wire, not necessarily expensive. The O/D codes can be accessed easily to narrow down the area to look at, your mechanic should know how to do this.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Default RE: Check Engine & Flashing "O/D Off" light

Awesome! Thanks for giving me some hope. Yes, it operates fine, I haven't noticed any issues. I haven't tried all the gears, but I did try overdrive and I can feel the difference... everything appears to be fine. I'm going to try to take it to the mechanic Monday morning and see how serious it is. I suspect they should be able to know and give me an accurate quote by reading the error codes off the check engine light and O/D Off... right? eg. there shouldn't really be much unknowns, in other words. Anything else I should know is greatly appreciated... otherwise, this seems straightforward based on the error codes.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Default Same Problem-flashing OD light and engine light turns on

I am using a Camry 2001. I am currently having a similar problem. Can u tell me what was the reason for the problem and your solution. Thanks.