General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine lite on..

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Default Check engine lite on..

Ok, I own a Toyota Camry 98. I just recently replaced fuel filter due to some hesitate in engine when driving. Now my check engine lite is on and when trying to start car today, died on me 3 times before starting then idled really high. Don't want to take it into mechanic unless I totally have to. Would rather work on it myself. Any suggestions? Does this sound like a common problem? HELP!!!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-14-2007, 02:19 AM
Default RE: Check engine lite on..

i had a 98 and battled with the check engine light many times over the years. many times it would go off on its own and not come back for months,etc. i'm no expert but if you are dealing with rough starting, hesitation, and idling, you may want to try cleaning out your throttle body. its not hard and there should be some instructions if you search on here or on yahoo,etc. it helped a lot with my car. also i was able to knock out the check engine light by just doing a tuneup (plugs,etc) once.

you can reset your light by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. if it stays off you should be good but if you didn't fix the problem it will just come back on. some of the parts store chains will put a diagnostic reader on your car for free and tell you why the light is on.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:59 AM

it would help us to know what the code is..if you are unable to get the codes. remove the spark plugs and inspect them... replace if needed..also check the ignition wires..if they are the original replace them....i heard that some auto parts stores retreave check engine light code for free..like Autozone..

Old 04-14-2007, 11:13 AM

i bought my car used and never even knew my light was on. then i went through emissions testing and failed because they said my check engine light was on ??. took it to a garage and it turns out whoever had the car before me pulled out the bulb! losers. i eventually figured it all out though and got it passed.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:11 PM

it could be coincedental and have nothing to do with replacing the fuel filter , or maybe possible its just flooded (ive had that happen)
you need to have the codes read , you can buy a decent scanner for under $200 and it comes in handy very often or like mentioned , take it to autozone,pepboy ,etc and have scanned . diagnosting problems is hard in person much less over the internet without a couple pieces of the puzzle .. good luck

Old 04-18-2007, 11:00 AM

You should try to pull a code off your computer.On my 91 you can get the computer to give you readout by jumping some terminals out under the hood or like someone else said you could go to an autozone and they might pull the code out for you and that would point you in the right direction as to the fix.On mine it was the oxygen sensor that I replaced costing$70 from autozone.My original one went 150,000 I now have 195,000 on and no light on.Hope this was of some help